Chapter nine

The next morning goes pretty much the same, instead I decide to go for a brighter outfit. I tie my hair up into a high ponytail and opt for no makeup.

"Morning

"Morning." I say walking up to Larissa, who's standing at the door again. "Glad you're still here."

She laughs. "I wish more people like you worked here, wherever you end up they're very lucky people."

I grin. "Thank you."

We get into the elevator and Larissa let's out a deep breath. "I should probably explain what happened between Max and I yesterday."

I shake my head. "That's really not necessary."

But it would be helpful if you spilled before I have to dig.

"It's fine, you deserve at least that after having to deal with it." She gives me a sad smile. "The truth is that English guy, your remember him?" I nod. "He's replacing my ex boyfriend Dylan, who's Max's brother."

"Where's Dylan?"

A pained expression crosses her face and I suddenly hate my job, if this girl didn't do it and I'm putting her through hell, I'm going to hate myself. "He was murdered last month."

I gulp in fake shock and pretend to be scared. "D-did they find his killer?"

She shakes her head. "Unfortunately no, and I think the cops have given up."

"Who do they think done it?"

"Me." She laughs. "Everyone at this firm, but the truth is, I still loved Dylan. Unfortunately, he had a girlfriend by the time he got me a job here."

"Does she work here?" I pretend not to know. Larissa nods. "That must be hard."

"It was at the start, but Dylan helped me realise we could still be good friends. Max never wanted me here, as he said yesterday Dylan's the only reason I'm here. The reason he snapped at me yesterday is the day before Dylan died, he changed the business contract."

When I give her a look of genuine confusion she continues. "He changed it to say if he and Max for whatever reason had to leave the business, it's mine."

"Would the cops not think that's a motive for you?" I 'shyly' ask.

She sighs. "That was there reason for me being the main suspect. But they couldn't get any proof, because I really didn't do it." The door to the elevator opens. "Just avoid Max at all costs, I'll see you later."

She gets out of the elevator and I take a second to move all information she just gave me to the back of my mind, until later when I can solve a murder again.

Like the plan Theo and I had discussed last night, I wait in the elevator a few more seconds before I walk out and 'accidentally' bump into someone.