Chapter forty-three

"You looked through my desk?" My voice is surprisingly deadly calm.

"I saw on last nights footage that you came into the office, I thought it was odd so I watched it, thought that was suspicious behaviour so I checked it out." She states with a shrug and holds the hand that contains the note out towards me. "Agent Williams has been with us longer than you, in case favouritism was thought to have played a factor."

"She's your best agent." Theo crosses his arms, and I can feel the anger radiating off him. "You can't be tha-"

"We have a strict no relationship policy here, especially between partners."

"Tammy and Charlie broke the rules neither got fired."

"Their situation is very different." Clare walks towards the door "Olivia pack your bags, Theo your stand in will be here in an hour."

"You're gonna need another stand in." Theo states and I look up at him in shock. "If Olivias gone, I'm going too."

"Agent Williams, I'm going to pretend you never said that. We'll talk when you've calmed down."

"I don't need to calm down. I quit."

"Theo." I mutter and move so I'm directly in front of him. "You don't have to do this, I'll find another job."

Theo shakes his head, his hands coming to rest in my cheeks. "You don't get it, I'm not staying here without you."

"You're sure?" Theo nods at my question. "Then let's pack up and get the hell out of here."

"So what do you wanna do now that we're not stuck catching bad guys all day?" Theo asks, throwing his arm over my shoulder as we walk back to the car, a box under both of our arms, containing our belongings from the office.

I hum, thinking of ideas. "We should probably start with telling Izzy about us, before someone else does."

"And your parents?"

I nod. "That's a good idea, considering mom will be the first person Izzy calls." I give him a wary glance before continuing. "What about you? You want to tell anyone in the UK?"

Theo doesn't say anything for a few seconds, instead he stares into space before sighing. "You've probably guessed considering I didn't exactly have anyone lining up to come see me after the accident, but I cut all ties with everyone back there before I left."

"Wanna talk about it?" I ask, not wanting to push him.

Theo shrugs. "There's not much to say, my mom cheated on my dad when I was ten. He turned to drinking and eventually started hitting me."

"Did it happen for long?" I try to keep the sympathy out of my voice, knowing that's exactly what Theo wouldn't want.

"I was sixteen when I decided to fight back. It didn't end well."

"I'm sorry." My voice is quiet.

Theo shrugs. "I never talked to my mom after she betrayed us like that, she acted like we didn't exist while she started a new family. With dad, I tried my hardest, I knew it was mom who drove him to do what he done, but in the end he still chose alcohol and violence."

"So what did you do?"

We stop at Theo's car that we both came to work in. "I went straight into training so I could do this, I had a part time job at the same time and saved up some money that I could leave dad to straighten his life out."

"Did it work?"

"Nope, just before I moved here he... um, the alcohol slowly shut down his organs."