Chapter forty-two

"Williams, Bennett my office. Now." Clares voice boomed through the intercom the next morning. Theo and I glance at each other, his expression just as confused as mine.

I step into the office first, giving Clare, who looks anything but happy with her arms crossed and a scowl to match it, a polite smile. Once we've both taken our seats she clears her throat. "I've just been informed that last nights target was taken in with a broken nose." The anger in her voice very much so present.

Theo clears his throat and when I take a quick glance at him, I can see he's trying to cover his smile. "That would be my fault."

"And why is that Agent Williams?"

"He was being disrespectful." Is Theo's brief response.

Clare turns her death glare to me. "This was about you, I assume Agent Bennett?" I nod, but don't get any words out of my mouth before Clare continues. "This better not be about what I think it's about."

"That depends what you think it's about." I throw back at her, willing myself not to roll my eyes. If she's gonna call us out, then she should be brave and just say it.

"She's my partner, I'm not about to let anyone treat her like shit right in front of me." Theo defends his actions, just as Clare opens her mouth to snap back.

"Very well." She nods. "You may leave."

I allow myself to roll my eyes, once the door to our office shuts behind us. "I wish she'd stop beating around the bush."

"Tell me about it." Theo mutters in agreement.

________________________________

"So you two got together at my wedding and have been dating ever since and never told me?" Tammy shrieks.

I take a sip of the beer I opted on drinking tonight. "Don't forget the fact that I didn't exactly have a way to tell you about it, you and Charlie went phone free," I remind her. "and we're not dating."

"You're not? Then what do you guys call it? Gracie told me you spend every night at each other's houses."

I shake my head at her proud grin. "Not true, I'm going to my place tonight and I don't know we haven't exactly talked statuses yet."

Tammy laughs. "I thought you guys had come to your senses."

"We have!"

Tammy grins. "I'm just messing with you Liv."

"So hows life as a married woman?"

Tammy grins. "Amazing! I knew it would be good but I didn't think it would be this good."

"I'm so happy for you." I smile and pick up my phone when I get a message.

Theo: Can you meet me at the office I've just been given a file for our next case, figured you could study it tonight.

"What's up?" Tammy raises a quizzical eyebrow.

"It's just Theo." I tell her and put my phone on the table after telling him I'd see him there. "He wants to meet him at the offices."

"Now?"

I nod, confused at his formal tone. "It's about a new case."

"Maybe he just didn't want to spend the night alone." Her tone of voice is suggestive, but my thoughts are too busy spinning to register what she says.

"Or he wants to end whatever's going on between us."  When Tammy shakes her head, I continue. "He could think it's not worth it, Clares been on our backs since he broke Dales nose last week."