Episode 28

Words from the Author:

Just to get it over with, Neon Genesis Evangelion's the sole property of Gainax. I continue to make no claim of owning anything pertaining to the series, manga and movies. The only thing I can say I own are the characters I created. It's as simple as that. Enjoy the episode. Something surely is bound to happen in this episode. So... Head's up!

Episode 28: Chaos Begins To Unfold

It's the final day before the highly anticipated confrontation between NERV and SEELE that will end everything once and for all. Although, NERV's side has no idea that's going to happen as what's to be expected on that day is a party for Shinji and Nero in celebration of their 16th Birthday. During the entire day, preparations and ideas were being devised for the party that will take place tomorrow while at NERV, by good fortune, all Evas have been cleared for the next attack from SEELE, which includes the new addition to the team, Unit 06. As this was achieved, the Commander was not around to witness the Evas' completed repairs due to having enclosed himself in his office without allowing anyone to enter, even Fuyutsuki, and not answering a single call. The reason being the simple fact that both his sons had stood in front of him and rejected his depraved method of them being a family once again.

In the meantime, Shinji and Nero were forced out of the apartment to get groceries, however, the two brothers knew that it wasn't the real reason they were sent out. Even with that fact, they didn't mind it at all and ended up taking a detour on the way back home. They now stand in front of their mother's grave with both holding two small bags of groceries in each hand as they're surrounded by numerous rows of graves that had replaced the originals due to them having been destroyed at some point in the war against the angels.

Shinji, who's wearing light blue pants and a white polo shirt with a light blue stripe above a brown stripe that both horizontally run across the center of the shirt, stares at the tombstone with a distant expression while standing to Nero's right. "You know that mother's not here, right?"

Nero, who's wearing black pants and a white collar, short-sleeved shirt that instead of using buttons it uses individual white laces to tie the shirt close while there's a small, grey circular design on the upper left side of the shirt, calmly nods with his eyes on the grave. "Of course. She's with you in Unit 01." He then smirks while looking at Shinji out of the corner of his eyes. "That's why you are so lucky, Shinji."

Shinji turns his attention to Nero with a bit of surprise and then nervously smiles. "I'm not that lucky."

Nero returns his gaze to the grave with a peaceful look taking over. "But you are... Mother has always been there to help you." His eyes are overcome with sadness. "I guess she had to until I decided to do what I'm supposed to."

Confusion appears on Shinji's face as he cocks his head slightly to the left with his smile no longer present. "What you're supposed to?"

Nero responds with a somber tone while briefly having his head down. "Yeah... I'm supposed to protect you, Shinji. That's what mother always wanted from me, but..." He turns his head to lock eyes with Shinji while feeling very pitiful. "I left you all by yourself. When you desperately needed someone, I should've been there to help. You had to deal with so much pain and didn't have anyone to depend on. I'm really sorry about that."

Shinji shuts his eyes, shakes his head in disagreement and then focus his attention onto Nero with a reassuring smile. "No, Nero. That's not your purpose. You don't have to blame yourself for stuff that happened when you weren't around. Anyway..." He turns his body to face his brother with sincerity resonating in his eyes. "You said it yourself. No matter how far apart we are, we will always be connected." Shinji then displays a hint of contempt and frustration with his head lowered for him to stare at the ground. "I should be the one apologizing right now for forgetting those words and our promise."