7.Down the rabbit hole

Olivia's apartment later that night...

From the moment Olivia walked in to the emergency room, Aria snuggled into her mother's arms and never left. While Olivia struggled to keep her tears at bay - her heart aching at seeing her child in pain, Aria's dad was busy blaming himself for their daughter's mishap and couldn't stop apologizing the whole time they were there.

They were both relieved when the doctor confirmed that it was indeed just a sprain - no broken bones.

They walked into Olivia's apartment, Aria fast asleep in her daddy's arms when he saw Olivia looking sadly at the bandage wrapped around their daughter's tiny wrist, once again, he began apologizing.

"Liv, I'm so sorry I-"

"David, it's fine; she's okay that's all that matters" she assured him in a tired voice. He looked at her with sad eyes and nodded.

"I'll put her PJ's on and put her down"

"Put her in my bed; if she wakes up she'll want me" again, he nodded apologetically.

After he'd gotten a still sleeping Aria into her pajamas and tucked into Olivia's bed, he got back to the living room and sat down just in time to see Olivia come in from the dining room with a glass in her hand.

"Still take your scotch neat?" she asked, offering him the glass as he looked up at her.

"I do... thanks, I could use it" he said as he took it from her hand, taking a long sip as she sat beside him, tucking her leg beneath her. "You remembered"

"I remember a lot of things" she said quietly, refusing t let her eyes meet his. There was brief, awkward silence between them.

"I felt it" she said

"Felt what?" he asked curiously

"My baby's pain..." she said, finally releasing the tears she'd been holding in all night. "Right before you called, my wrist began throbbing and I got a feeling that something was wrong" he put his hand on her shoulder and squeezed. Just that simple gesture sent a flood of emotions through her that she was in no way prepared to deal with and she made the mistake of looking up at him - those amazing eyes of his still had the power to make her weak especially when, like now he was looking so deeply into hers.

"David..."

She barely got his name out before he leaned in and kissed her slowly, sweetly on the lips, taking her completely by surprise. She didn't return his kiss but instead pushed him away.

"Liv"

"Why did you do that?" she asked, her emotions threatening to choke her

"Because I made a mistake" he confessed

"What?"

"You know what these last seven years of my life have been? Me realizing that I chose the wrong woman... it should have been you. I have never stopped loving you" he said, his eyes filling with tears, his confession dropping on her like a ton bricks and she fought to just breathe.

"You should go." She said in a whisper as she stood up

"Olivia"

"Please" she begged. He sighed before standing up. He put his hand under her chin, lifting her head before he tried to kiss her again; this time she slapped him hard across the face.

"I said get out." She said, her calm voice contradicting the violence with which she'd just hit him.

"I see that fire never left" he smirked, finished his drink and then turned heading for the door.