Chapter 29

Sleeping Beauty

I looked through the glass of the neonatal ICU, my little daughter lies there, the doctors were anticipating on any complications yet, they didn't wished to take any risk. So, they kept her under seventy-two hours of observation. My little girl, how can I face you knowing that I was the one for whom your mother had took such an insane risk? Why didn't you told me before Iris? we could have tried again, after you had gotten well.

I walked towards her cabin. She was kept in ventilation, over life support system. I don't know what to think anymore, all I can say that I have failed her, I have failed everyone. I saw Ezra was sitting outside her room. "Sam..." He called. I looked at him. "Rosa, wanted to meet, can't you come home? You are here in same clothes, since last night. You don't want Iris to see you like this when she wakes up, don't you?" He asked.

"I cannot go home; I have to stay here by her side." I said. "I will stay here, ok? Go home and rest, please Sam, if you fall down who will support your family? Tell me?" He asked. I laughed "Sometime you sounds so wise Ezra." He smiled "Sometimes when the wise one act dumb, the dumb one have to become wiser. No way I am letting you mope here like this. Go home, take shower, sleep and then when you are rested come back. Till then I will be here. I will call if something changes" He said.

"But..." I protested. "He is right you know, you should go and get some sleep. You look like you are about to fall down." Landon said. "Meanwhile I too will be here. And I need to discuss something with Ezra too. Go home Sam, sometimes you need to believe that you are not alone." I looked at both of them. I think I could go for a while. "Ok, but just for a while then I am coming back to my Iris." I said. "ok, we will not stop you from coming here."

I drove home, sadly I was missing someone too much from my side now. Iris, I should have seen it coming. Tell me will you ever find in your heart to forgive me? Tell me? Will you ever able to look at me without feeling disgusted by me? I have hurt you too much haven't I baby? Will you not forgive your poor husband?

I parked into the garage, same one I had left last night in hurry. I cannot believe fifteen hours ago, how different it was. And how much I had made her suffer. All because I thought she was betraying me just for the fun of it. I walked in and saw David and Katie inside. She is now became a ball. Just like my Iris was. She came and hugged me. "We came as soon as we heard." She said. David was next, and he hugged me too. "I am sorry Sam." He said.

"The house..." "We have taken care of it already, it is officially free of bugs, and tap wires and anything else that can short as surveillance to anyone." Katie said. I nodded. "Sam, why don't you go and get freshen up while I and David tidied up a little bit?" Katie asked. "Katie you should rest, I don't want anything bad happen to you because of me." I said.

Katie looked at David. "I will get the groceries." He said and walked out leaving us alone. "Ok, now that is settled, why don't we sit down and talk?" She said. "I don't know what is there to talk about Katie. All I want is you to be safe, not in danger because of something foolish I have done." She looked at me exasperated. "That is what we should talk about. You blaming yourself." "I am not..." She looked at me sharply. I don't know about David, but... those eyes still very much gets to me.

"Go and take a shower. Now" She ordered. I shied and walked into my room. First thing I noticed was her picture. Her and mine. It was from way back. I remember how hard I work to pursue her to go out on a date with me. How much I wished that she noticed me. And she did way before. She wasn't reciprocating her feelings in order to save from heartbreak. But it was her heart that was breaking in reality. I never did notice, did I Iris, how you had worked hard to please me always.

I promise baby, I will work hard to please you too from now on. That is if you decided I am still worth you. If you believe I deserve to be in your life after all I have put you through. I am sorry angel; I am so sorry. I shouldn't have jumped at conclusions. I should have taken into account to why you would be doing this. Why you might have did what you did and I...