→CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR.

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR.

❝ WE'LL BE A FINE LINE ❞

••

It was somewhere in the late hours of the night that Paris had finally been brought into the world on that day of June. Far past midnight, too early for the dawn, too far past dusk. All sense of time had gone out the window, leaving them unaware of exactly how long had passed from the moment they first arrived to the moment she was finally here.

Shortly after she had been held by them each, she was placed along Millie's belly as the doctor attended to what needed to be checked on her. Once everything was assured to be just fine, the nurse had the newborn in her hold, getting the footprints and strapping on matching ID bands to all three of them before exiting the room with Paris, leaving behind the aftermath of the labor as she would attend to the tests for the baby.

Millie was exhausted all over. Still breathless when the doctor began to take care of what needed to be done, her mind faraway and trailing adrift. Thoughts were incoherent, even her gaze was lost for she could barely seem to glimpse Finn before he, too, was ushered out of the room. Everything from then on passed by rather fuzzily, nothing clear until the moment the baby was brought back in a bassinet, Finn trailing right behind.

Her senses were heightened then, and she felt much more awake. The exhaustion still weighed heavily upon her, but the second Paris was back beside her, all she felt was the overwhelming waves of contentment that crashed over her.

"Now, remember," Doctor Gray began, marking down along the clipboard as she peered over the bassinet, "it's very important for the baby to have skin-to-skin contact. The more, the better. She's got to stay warm to keep her body temperature in check. And as for breastfeeding, whenever you feel comfortable to begin is best. Which doesn't mean it has to start during your stay here. I'll be coming by to keep making some checkups on the baby, but everything went by smoothly, no complications, so." She shrugged, a small smile as she turned towards her. "Things seem just fine. I'll leave you two alone now. Get some rest while you can."

The door shut softly behind her as Millie situated herself upright on the hospital mattress. She scooted herself closely to the edge of the bed, carefully swinging her legs off the side as she bent forward. Paris had her eyes open, slowly wandering as she lay wrapped up in her blanket, head covered by a thin, white beanie. Millie watched her in awe with wide eyes as she slowly brought her arms into the bassinet, carefully removing her from inside as she brought her towards her chest.

Adjusting herself along the bed more comfortably, she released a quiet sigh, smiling down at Paris as she kept her clutched closely. She felt the mattress dip by her legs, glancing up to find Finn seated comfortably, eyes kept on the baby.