→CHAPTER TWENTY.

CHAPTER TWENTY.

❝ WHEN YOU'RE GONE, SKY TURNS CRIMSON,SO I WAIT FOR THE DAWN ❞

SO I WAIT FOR THE DAWN ❞

••

It was easy for him to say that time was most definitely a construct.

Because before Finn even knew it, the frigid cold month of December was upon them. Snowfall was expected soon enough, and already your fingers would practically go numb if you spend too long outside without proper clothing. Decorations for the season were more and more abundant after the Thanksgiving holiday passed by, the spirit of Christmas showcased almost everywhere.

It felt like the past few months of his life were existing in a slow timely manner that simultaneously sped by just as fast. It was weird how his nights appeared just the same in that way.

Long and endless in a loop of tossing and turning in a large empty mattress with tangled sheets until he pulled himself up to do something else. Yet when the sun rose up after whatever bit of sleep he managed to get from finally shutting down his mind, it felt like it had passed by too fast. Something that he honestly could not grasp an understanding of.

And time had passed by so fast, his days blurring into something consistent that felt like just a few hours at times, that he wasn't even aware of one particular day that would be approaching.

"What are you doing for your birthday this year?" Caleb asks casually before he bit into a fry, glancing up at Finn expectedly.

Finn blinked, taken aback by the question, brows furrowing. "My birthday? I don't know. I still have a few weeks to decide, though."

At that, his friend's brows lifted, his lips curling into a frown. "Um, no, you don't."

"What? Yeah I do."

"Your birthday is next week, Finn," Caleb spoke those words slowly, pronouncing them each firmly as if to get the information through to him easier.

But he was stubborn as hell. "No, it's not. Come on, stop exaggerating. We still have time, stop making it all seem—"

And when the screen of Caleb's phone was shoved in his face, the view of a digital calendar obscuring his vision, the sudden clarity of the current date and his birthday exactly a week from then caused the following words to cut off. Well, he was wrong. He had also lost his sense of time, apparently.

"Oh," is all he mumbles in response.

Caleb shakes his head, chuckling softly as he sticks his phone into his jacket pocket. "How did you forget your own birthday?"