→CHAPTER TEN.

CHAPTER TEN.

❝ OH, I DID IT AGAIN,OH, I MUST STILL WANT YOU ❞

OH, I MUST STILL WANT YOU ❞

••

In the early hours of dawn, before the first rays of sunlight begin to peek through the horizon, she is already awake with a clear memory that is replaying over and over again.

The ruffled and rumpled forgotten articles of clothing can be seen strewn across the floor from beside the large bed all the way to the closed bedroom door. Beneath the white satin sheets that are held above her chest, she is completely bare as she lies on her side, unable to forget the events from the night before.

A stupid mistake done twice now.

Millie watches him peacefully beside her as he is content in a deep sleep. Admittedly, despite everything, she feels much too close to him as she can feel his quiet exhales brush against her cheek. His lips twitch as he sleeps, indecipherable words mumbled under his breath, his arm sluggishly reaching out until it is curved around her hips.

And instead of pulling herself away, she finds herself scooting closer into his touch. There's a certain sense of calm that resonates within her, something that she finds comforting. But beneath the surface, there is room for concern. What did this even mean for them?

For some reason, she feels like she doesn't even deserve this sight that is right in front of her. Waking up beside him like this is so wrong but it feels almost too right. But she knows she can't enjoy it for so many reasons.

Though, since they did this again (still a bit intoxicated), she figured that should mean something. It could mean anything. It didn’t mean anything. It just couldn’t mean anything.

Because whatever it did mean, it was dangerous territory, causing an anxious feeling to suddenly overwhelm her every sense.

Millie sits up abruptly, pushing herself away towards the edge of the mattress, straying further away from his touch. She wishes things could be as simple as relishing in this moment with no worries. But things can't.

If there weren’t so many fearful what if’s surrounding the two, so many things that could go wrong, then maybe she could have dove headfirst into whatever they could be.

Instead, she is far too taken by every way that this, whatever it was, could go wrong.

She figures that it’s not too late to pretend that this night never happened. She could convince him that this was all a mistake, that they acted on impulse and gave into whatever desires bubbled up in them. Because to spend more time thinking about the feelings this all stirred up, well, they couldn’t have that.