4 ¤ Anya Lee

Adelaide looks at me for a moment, and I see her eyes turn black, solid black. She steps back from me for a moment and then waves her hand. The area around us shifts and changes, becoming a field in the middle of nowhere with knee-high grass, fog, and a gray sky overhead.

"There, now we can speak in peace," she says. "I'm sure you have many questions. So go ahead, we have all the time in the world."

"Who are you? And don't say that you're me, because we don't even have the same name."

"But I am you, Anya. I just am you from another world."

"Look, I don't know why you're being all cryptic and crap, but don't you think this is a little weird? Abducting me from my home just so I can "heal your world" or something."

"My world doesn't have you yourself, Anya. It only has me. And for a while, that was okay. But when we discovered your existence, we had to bring you here so we could save our world."

"How will talking to me save your world?"

"One person can change the world," she says, not looking at me.

"I know that, but why are you being cryptic with what you say? Why not just be straightforward? Wouldn't that make more sense?"

"I suppose so, but that doesn't mean I'm going to hand you the answers. Some things, you must figure out for yourself."

"Adelaide, I think you know that I am not going to figure this out on my own. I'm asleep right now. Please. Just tell me what I'm supposed to do in order to go home."

"You can start by doing the Three Trials we have here in Aeden," Adelaide says. "And in order to do that, you must embrace me. Then you begin your trials, and you can go home."

"All along I only had to hug you to go home?"

"No, agreeing to do the Three Trials is what will send you home. But if you don't do the Trials, you will have to remain here for a while. Long enough for me to figure out my plan b."

"Great," I mutter. "Fine. I'll do the Trials. What do I have to do for them?"

"You'll see, my friend. You will see."

I sigh. She's not going to tell me. So I walk forward and embrace her.

"We'll meet again, Anya," she says softly. "I know we will, friend."