12 ¤ Daddy Dearest

"Ah, Anya, Rose, Jaycee," Father says, sneering at us.

I still stand between him and Dylan, who is trying to stop the bleeding on his nose from where the man nearly broke it with his gun. Father's warped eyes look at Seb and Klaus.

"And Sebastian and Klaus, I assume? Interesting," he says, walking into the room. "Who's this that you're staunchly protecting, Anya? Your boyfriend?"

"Go away," Sebastian growls.

"How dare you speak to me that way. You insolent little freak!" He throws his arm up, and Sebastian flies through the air, shattering the glass of the window as he falls.

As he is thrown from the second story window.

"SEBASTIAN!" Faye screams. Jade grabs her before she can run after him, and the men with guns that are still remaining in here take aim at us.

"What, you didn't truly think you were the only gifted ones?"

I clench my fists.

"Oh dear. You were under that misguided impression. Hmm ... how sad." He walks into the room, sneering at Faye, who is now crying. Klaus growls and steps between them, protecting her and Jade.

Jaycee and Rose stand on either side of me and Dylan, and all of us are defending Dylan from Father. Although part of me wishes I'd been more careful with Sebastian, and with our messed up father.

"Oh dear," he says. "I will give you one chance. Surrender him, and I will leave you all alone. If you don't, my men have their orders, and will not hesitate to carry them out."

"Make your choice," says one of the other guys.

"I'm not giving you Dylan," I say. "And Rose and Jaycee aren't going either. Neither is anyone else for that matter. So go back empty handed, or die for what you've done to us."

Father bursts out laughing. "You're hilarious, Anya."

"What kind of orders do your men have?" Dylan asks.

"The kind that will end up with you all dead," Father says.

"You truly think you can keep him? You think you're going to hurt him, or any of us? You're freaking delusional if you think that."

"Well, you never know," he says, "I might just show you mercy."

"No you won't, you liar," Rose says.

"Never. Call me. A liar."

"Why? Does it piss you off?" Rose presses.

"Keep it up and you will join your cousin in the parking lot," Father sneers.

"Is that a threat?" Rose steps forward. "Because I think we - well, I know we can take you."

Father roars with laughter.

"Will you promise not to hurt Anya Lee?" Dylan asks.

"Of course. She's my daughter. I would never hurt my daughters," Father replies.

"Then fine. Take me." Dylan grabs my hands and forces me to look at him. "You didn't fail. You didn't let me down or anything like that. You did everything you could do, but I made this choice. Please honor it." He presses a warm kiss to my forehead.

And then, they take him away.