23 ¤ Whispers in the Dark

That night, I dream.

And I see Dylan in the vision that comes to me, he's laying in a small room on a cot.

I walk over to where he is laying, and I rest my hand on his arm. His beautiful brown eyes open and they look up at me.

"Dylan," I say softly, and he sits up, looking at me. He touches his hand against my arm, but his touch is cold instead of warm, as we are in a dream. He looks into my eyes and I hate the sadness on his face. He knows I'm not really here.

"I miss you so much," he says. "Please. Please don't come here though. I am worried that this is a trap. Please don't come to find me, okay? I'll find you."

"I don't care if it's a trap, I'm getting you out of there. End of discussion," I say. "And if it is a trap, I will go alone."

"Anya, please don't," he says softly. I am about to protest, but then I see the faint bit of tears in his eyes. "I can't let them hurt you. Please don't make me lose you."

I throw my arms around him. He squeezes me tight, and I close my eyes, just trying to feel him somehow. He kisses my head and wraps his wings around me.

"I love you," I say softly. "Oh my god, I love you."

He cups my face in his hands and tilts my head back to look at him.

"I love you too," he says softly.

"Can ... can you at least tell me where you are? I need to know."

"I honestly don't know," he says. "I just know that they talk about you a lot here, and i think they're expecting you."

I sigh. "Dylan, if you're not back in one week, I'm going to get you back."

"I don't know if we will get out of this one," he mumbles. "I mean, I just don't see how it's going to work out."

"It will, okay? I promise."

"You can't promise that," he mumbles. I sigh and he does too, then shakes his head and puts his arms around me. "I'm sorry, Anya Lee. I'm just scared."

"Then let me help you," I say.

He smiles a little, and I feel my heart leap at the sight of his smile. But then he just shakes his head.

"No, I can't. I'm sorry, but I have to do this on my own. I need to prove I can do this."

"Is that what this is about? You think you need to prove yourself?"

"No, I mean ... " He sighs. "I need to show myself that I can do this."

"Why?"

"Because. If I can't keep myself safe, how can I ever hope to keep you safe?" he asks.

My heart breaks at that question. I put my head against his chest, wishing he was somehow back in my arms, wishing that he would come back home. Wishing I could just see him again.

"You don't have to prove yourself to me," I tell him.

"I know. But I can't say the same for myself."

Then, I wake up.