29 ¤ Protecting

Here is a quick reminder of my life at the moment. I am now a prisoner alongside my boyfriend and we are now expecting a baby sometime in the future. But Dylan does not know that yet. He doesn't know that I'm pregnant and have been for a while now.

And my father is the one who is keeping us locked up.

I tuck my wings in tight to my body, and as I do that subconsciously to make myself smaller, Dylan opens his wings in a threatening manner. My father smiles at us, a dark look on his face.

"Leaving so soon?"

"Let us go," I say.

He laughs. "I don't think so."

He pulls the trigger, and suddenly, the gun flashes a bright red shade, and then it becomes a snake. The snake bites down on his hand, and my father screams. He stumbles back and looks at us.

Dylan sways slightly, but then runs toward the door past my dad. Dylan carries me to the door and kicks it open, shattering the glass and taking flight at once. We ascend fast and I look all around us.

We are up so very high, and I need to get to just get into the air on my own. But if he knew what I knew, I know he'd insist upon carrying me.

I don't speak as we fly, and neither does he.

What feels like hours pass, and finally he is too exhausted to carry me and fly, so we descend into the trees below and rest among the leaves.

"What were you going to say earlier?" he asks.

I take his hands in mine. He looks at me and I smile, tears forming in my eyes.

"What's wrong?" he asks, his face contorting in confusion.

"Dylan. I'm uh .... I'm pregnant." I press his hand against my stomach. "Meet your baby."

Then, using my empathy, I begin to channel the energy I feel from her. Yes, I know that my baby is a girl. And then, she shows us her.

Images flash in my mind, and I know that Dylan's seeing all this too. The images are of us with a beautiful, adorable little girl. She beams up at us.

"I love you, Momma," a cute and pure little girl's voice says in my mind.

"I love you, Ravyn," I say.

Then the images fade away. Dylan and I both have tears in our eyes.

"Ravyn ... she had wings too," Dylan says softly, his eyes on my stomach. "I'm not going to let anything happen to either of you. This, I promise."

I kiss him. "I love you."

He smiles at me like he's never smiled before. "I love you too, Anya."