21 ¤ Dylan

They appear in a room where a woman sits with her back to them. She has long, braided hair and seems to be drinking something. She sighs and shakes her head.

"You're late, Jonas. I would've thought you would've been more punctual than this." She stands up and turns to face them. "But at least you brought him with you."

"Sorry to disappoint," Jonas says. "But this is Dylan, the one you wanted me to get from the prison."

"Yes, that is indeed Dylan," she says. "Good job."

She turns her red-tinted brown eyes on Dylan then, and she steps closer to them.

"I believe we have never met," she says. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Dylan. I am Kyah."

"Why am I here?" he asks, forgoing the niceties for now.

"You are here because I requested you to be here. You were going to be executed by them if I hadn't saved you."

"How do you know that?"

"We have been watching you, Dylan," Kyah says. "We knew that you had to be saved from Zakariah Jones, or he would kill you. We also knew that you wouldn't come with us if we didn't prove trustworthy, so I hope you found Jonas here nice enough for you."

"How long have you been watching me?" he asks.

"We have been watching for as long as we are needed. So basically, since you were captured. But despite the fact that you are not a prisoner here, you cannot contact Anya Lee or any of your family ."

"What? Why?"

"It's not safe," Jonas says. "There's a time and place for everything, but not this. Not right now."

"So I can't leave either?" Dylan asks.

"No, you must remain here for your safety. At least until we have taken care of your friends, Zakariah Jones and the good doctor."

"What am I supposed to do in the meantime, then? If I am to stay here and all ..."

"Make yourself at home, my friend. All will become clear soon, I promise."