7 ¤ Anya Lee

I don't know how much more of this test I can take. I put my head down and close my eyes. The others are talking about me amongst themselves, I don't say anything, because I still can't talk.

"What is she thinking about?" Dylan asks.

"Mostly you, but she's really thinking about some trials she was told about. But that's all I know, that it's you or "the trials"  -  I can't see anything else," Faye answers.

Dylan gets up and comes over to me, and I lean against his touch as he cups my face in his hands. I look into those hypnotically beautiful eyes of his, and he smiles a little, the corner of his mouth rises in his signature crooked smile.

"I'm not giving up on you, okay? You don't seem to realize how much I love you, and that's okay,  but don't for one moment believe that I'd ever purposely hurt you."

Tears swell up in my eyes at that and he notices. He gently brushes them away. Then he leans forward, and kisses me on the lips. And like magick, the spell over me breaks.

A shockwave of silver and white light shoots through the air, and Dylan falls back from the force of it, but he's fine. Everyone is looking between us.

"Good job, Anya Lee. You've successfully completed Trial One."

"Dylan?" I say, and he jumps into my arms.  I squeeze him tight and he wraps his wings around me. I close my eyes and sigh. "It's a trial that the other me made. Her name is Adelaide, and she wants me to help her heal her world. So in order to do that, I have to do three trials. She didn't tell me what they were or how to solve them."

He leans back and looks at me, his eyes searching my face. He frowns. "Maybe the one you seemingly just completed is one where you have to get me to kiss you or something so you can talk again? Like Ariel?"

"Did you seriously just reference the Little Mermaid?" I ask, grinning at him.

"Yes, I did."

"You're awesome."

He laughs. "So when does the next one start?"

I shrug. "But I'm sorry for trying to strangle you."

He puts his hands on my shoulders. "I don't blame you for that. It wasn't you."

"You are fucking perfect."

He smiles at me. "Come on, we got work to do."