27 ¤ Not Stopping

I'm swimming, that's all I know. I'm swimming and swimming, but for some reason, I don't have to surface, or worry about my wings and feathers weighting me down. As I swim, I look up at the surface far above me, and I know I have to try and get back. Back to the light, to air.

Back to my family.

I kick and flail against the tight ropes around my ankles. I look down at them, and they come loose, setting me free. I surface, taking in a deep gasp of air, and then my eyes snap open.

I'm wide awake now.

"We're gonna get paid real good for this," says a man who talks with a Southern accent.

"Shut up, Eric. You might wake them up!" says a second man.

"Why'd you get to carry the pretty girl? Maybe I wanted to," Eric protests.

"Look, I know you're upset that you and Abe have to carry the guy, but you don't hear Abe complaining!"

"Abe's too stoned to care!"

I lurch in the man's arms. He yelps and drops me. I fall on my hands and knees and punch him in the back of his leg. The man who was holding me crumpled on the ground.

Abe and Eric get out guns and point them at me. How the hell the two of them are holding onto Dylan and pointing their fancy schmancy guns at me is totally beyond me. He's a tall guy, he's got wings, he's not exactly someone who would be easy to carry that way. Me, on the other hand, I'm small, but my wings make me awkward, making it so it was a weird way to carry me. Making it easier for me to drop out of his arms.

"You bitch," Abe snarls.

"Put those things away before you get yourselves hurt."

Eric laughs. "You ain't got no gun, girl! What are you going to do?"

Shit. He has no power for me to channel.

Oh wait. I face-palm right in front of them. They look at me, and then I channel Dylan's energy. I cast an illusion of a wolf that charges at the men. They open fire.

Oh crap.

I seriously didn't think this through.

A couple bullets rip into me. I scream and fall onto my back, and I hear someone yelling, but then I hit the ground hard and I look up, my vision going black for a second.

"Anya?"

I look as Dylan scrambles to get up, and he comes over to me. He is stopped by one of the guys who was holding him, and Dylan promptly punched the guy, Eric, in the face. He then runs over to where I am.

"Oh no, Anya ..."

I'm looking at Dylan when it happens. The man named Abe smacks him over the head, and Dylan falls down, and he slumps to the floor.

"Yep," he says. "I'm thinking we'll get paid."