25 ¤ Anya Lee

I'm running. No, I'm sprinting. I reach him within seconds, and I lift him up off the ground, holding Dylan in my arms as I try to wake him up.

"Dylan? Dylan, please wake up," I say, my heart racing.

"Time to make sure that all is equal in the world. No more freaks," says the man who shot and stabbed Dylan. Tears spring into my eyes and I stand up, and I can feel Dylan's heartbeat slowing by my empathy.

"You have just made a terrible mistake," I snarl.

He laughs. "Have I?"

Then, a knife is stabbed through my back, and the point sticks out of my chest a little. I gasp and energy explodes out of me, throwing a girl against the trees several meters away. The knife suddenly turns into nothing, and as I am trying to figure out where it went, I sense something.

Dylan stands up, and I watch as his wounds close. He walks over to where the evil guy is, laying on the ground, stunned from the starburst of energy from me.

"Dylan?" I whisper, and then everything around me goes black.

......

When I wake up, I don't have any idea where I am. I look around, trying to figure out what I'm looking at. Oh, it's a wall. Never mind.

I sit up, wincing in pain, and I raise my aching head and I see Dylan sitting beside me, his eyes closed, half-asleep. But when I move again, his eyes snap open and he looks at me.

"Anya Lee? Are you okay? Be careful, you don't want to hurt your wounds."

"What happened?" I ask, leaning against him.

"I don't really know. When I woke up, in your arms, I was half-alive. But then I just guess something clicked in me, because then I was using abilities I never knew I had."

"What about the knife? The one she stabbed me with."

"I made it cease existing," he says, as if it's the most obvious thing he could say.

"Where are we?" I ask.

"A hotel. I carried you here."

"Thank you," I say. "For everything."

"Well, thank you for not listening to me and tracking me down in the belly of the beast."

I laugh, but wince in pain. He leans over and kisses me on the lips, his lips warm against mine. He leans his head back and looks into my eyes.

"I love you "

"I love you, too," I say.