The King of Dwaraka

'Dwarkadhish!' -- so this is what you're referred to as, by the people of your new kingdom Dwarka? We have been hearing numerous stories about its richness, heritage & beauty. I hope you didn't forget the sweet water of yamuna by living near those salted waters for some time now.

It's already been so long since you left. Though things are okay now, they're not amazing as they used to be in your presence.

Every evening, once done with the daily chores, we all gather at the spot where you used to play your baansuri everyday to relieve us from all the exhaustion of the day. Sitting there, we take a long nostalgic ride into the times you spent here in Braj. We never get tired talking about those same stories repeatedly because those are the only days we truly lived. Now we barely exist.

"Naarayana!! Naaraayana!!"

While we thought it was another boring day in Braj, we heard this divine chant approaching us. To our extreme delight, it's the divine messenger -- Narada Muni. Unable to believe our fortune, we all collectively bowed down to him.

After doing all the honours we could afford, while he was relaxing under the huge kadamba tree at the banks of yamuna post lunch, we all gathered around him, like ants around a piece of jaggery.

Knowing he wanders around different places on the earth & heavens, how did you think he'll be spared from the endless enquiries of Braj vasis about you. After all, it's all we live for. We couldn't stop ourselves from asking things like -

"How tall is he now?"

"Does he still wear that Morpankh on his head?"

"Now that he's a King and cannot steal, does he get enough butter in Dwaraka?"

"Does he ever talk about Braj?"

Narad muni couldn't stop smiling at our silly questions. Though we sounded desperate & stupid to say the least, we knew he understood our love & longing for you very well.

"Hmm.. trust me, I had similar questions for him in my head. But during my visit to Dwarka, when we had a conversation about the same, I was taken aback after knowing what his heart holds for this place, just like how you all will, when I reveal what he shared. " he continued...

" In Krishna's words :

'See, there's nothing like Krishna used to live in Braj as quoted by many. The truth is, I still live there and will continue to do so until the end of the time.

To be honest, I never left Braj. It's my eternal home. No matter where I live & what I do, a part of me always travels to that place, to find solace.

And in what words do I describe what Braj vasis mean to me? They're special in so many ways. I'm forever indebted for the selfless love they all showered me with, and the fact that they still do, even from miles away. Everyone wonders how Dwarkadhish manages to keep his smile intact even in extreme distress? I admit, it's all because of those tons of maakhan they have fed me with, whose sweetness still radiates in my smile.

Those countless beautiful moments spent with them, are still dancing in front of my eyes.

Running with a ball of butter in one hand & holding my pitambar with another, while Yashoda maiyya starts chasing me furiously with a stick taking an oath to teach me a good lesson; and how all her anger used to melt like icecream, as soon as I look at her with my bholi surat.

Teasing those naive Gopis in innumerable ways, by breaking their pots, entangling their braids, eavesdropping on their secret talks by sitting on the trees, dancing with them on full-moon nights, spelling my magic to make them forget all those mischiefs of mine that they wanted to bring to Yashoda Maiyya's notice, and giggling at their helpless faces as Maiyya calls them crazy & delusional. Despite all this, they still loved me with all they had.

Making my Radhey go restless by playing sweetest melodies on the flute and watching her irresistibly running to me leaving everything behind. Ahh! Her one gaze thrown at me from the corner of her kohled eyes felt like rainfall in the desert. That beautiful face is still before my eyes. Tucking in & loosening up her hair strands is something I can never get enough of. My praana priya she is!

Doing all sorts of monkey adventures with my cowherd friends in the forests while grazing cattle, having meals together and falling asleep under the trees we had juicy mangoes from, making master plans to steal butter & milk from the houses of Gopikas and then sharing all of that together by feeding each other celebrating our victory.

Those ghats of Yamuna where I had the best moments of my life, those secret upvans where I danced my heart out with with Radhey & Gopis, the streets where I played holi drenching everyone in the color of blue, those sarovars, kadamba tress, gowshalaas.. everything about Braj is way too beautiful to ever get over. There, I lived my forever within the numbered days.

Hey Maharshi, that vibrant sound of Yashoda Maiyya's laugh on looking at my cute antics, the tickling sound of Gopi's bangles while churning butter for me, and that hauntingly beautiful music of my Radhey's anklets while running towards me -- all these sounds will heal my ears when they're going to bleed by the noises of those clashing weapons & death screams on the battlefield. Everyone says there's no sound in the entire world more pleasing than the sound of my flute. But how do I convince them, that it is these sounds that enchants the enchanter himself!

Ohh jewel among the saints, I played so many roles in my life, that of a leader, saviour, warrior, teacher and so many more but 'Gokul ka Gwala' is something I lived, loved & cherished in true sense.'

Ohh pure souls of Vrindavan, when I meet your Kaanha the next time, he's going to ask about you all with the same, if not more child-like excitement in his eyes that you guys had when enquiring about him. Now tell me, is his love for his Braj bhoomi & Braj vasis any less than what you people hold for him?"

Narad Muni left after sometime, but his words are still ringing in every corner of Braj vasis hearts. You have absolutely no idea, what an emotional mess we are right now, on getting a glimpse of what your heart holds for us. Almost like we just came back after taking one fascinating ride into the peak mountains & deep valleys of your heart all at once.

Hey Kunj Bihari, our life today, has found its meaning. It truly did.

Also, sorry for taking you on guilt trips every now and then without realising we are not the only victims of seperation. At least our life allows us to sit & cry at leisure because we have only you to think about; but what about you, who got the whole world to look after??

Radhey radhey!

The Diary Of a Gopika जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें