Chapter 7

Mother was hovering and taking forever to help him get ready for the party. The young Ger shifted uncomfortably on the seat as his hair was once again tugged to the side a bit. One look in the mirror told him that it was worth all the effort.

He had been bathed in the finest scented oils until his skin was soft and smelled like heaven. His hair had been brushed with hair oils until it was as smooth as a curtain of satin. His nails had been carefully shaped and decorated with covers.

His pale skin had been powdered slightly, but the glow of health and youth shone through. His eyes were framed with carefully drawn eyeliner that made his eyelashes look even thicker and the iris colour seem even brighter.

His robes were beyond exquisite, a finely tailored set of black robes with gold edging on them. The colour was difficult to achieve, with it's undertones of red, and the embroidery was perfectly even around the sleeves and collar.

His mother had wanted him to wear a bridal headdress for the party, as was custom for the bride, but the Ger had categorically refused. He had convinced his father only when he insisted that he wished to wear the same headpiece that his father had worn when getting engaged to their mother.

That headpiece was a work of art in itself. Mainly so because the previous emperor had gifted it to his father when he heard that he was getting married to the girl of his dreams. It was a family treasure.

Unlike most male headpieces, this one was not plain with just a few jewels encrusting it. It was a stylish looking gold piece, formed in the shape of flames and feathers, to look like a phoenix bowing.

The eyes and the tips of the wings were encrusted with jewels that were so deep a blood red as to appear black in dim lighting. It was the perfect piece to wear with his robes, and indeed now that it was situated over his half bun it looked stunning.

Now more than ever it was appropriate, as he would be married to the dragon king and may become his empress. As the first wife, and if he should bear the first child to the emperor, his place within the palace was at least as high as two paces behind (*see note).

He tilted his head to either side, appraising his reflection. His mother beamed at him as he rose from the seat gracefully and turned to the collected audience. The servants all bowed with tears in their eyes.

"Oh, don't cry. Don't cry or you'll ruin your liner." His mother waved her hands in front of her face delicately. Then she gave him a hug. "You look beautiful, my son." She whispered. He smiled at her and nodded his thanks.

"We should go now. The guests should be assembled already. We will be late." He glanced out the window at the sun descending in the sky. His mother nodded and sniffed.

"Is the emissary from his majesty here yet?" She asked the head eunuch at the door. He shook his head sadly, glancing at the handsome young master.

"No, a message was sent to delay the announcement until after sunset." He told her as they passed into the hall. She waved him off and they made their way to the grand courtyard where the party was being held.

All eyes turned to the two, some widening in surprise at the sight of the youngest son. It was by far the fanciest he had ever dressed for an event in the area, and his robes were even richer than the ones his own father wore.

The Du family was by no means poor, that is. They were just known for their modest living and gracious manners. To see the youngest looking so splendid was a treat for the whole neighbourhood. Such that all the lesser lords were clamoring to meet with Father Du and his youngest son.

"Du Fen? Is that you? Woo haa. Look at you all dressed up. Which young lady are you getting hitched to, huh?" His friend from martial arts came up with his father and poked at his robes teasingly. He smiled tightly, but kept his mouth shut.

"You'll have to wait for the announcement Tai-Tai. I'm not supposed to say." He replied with small shake of his head that sent the gems in the headpiece gleaming in the lamplight.

"Ah Fen... Is it true? Are you really getting married?" A solemn voice asked from behind him. He turned to see another fellow with a long face, looking him over with heavy eyes.

"Yes Yin. I am getting married." He replied uneasily. The boy came up too close to him, making him lean away slightly. Didn't he know about personal space!?

"Ah Fen... You were supposed to wait for me to get a position in the Ministry of Finances. Can't you call it off?" He asked in a petulant voice. Du Fen's eyes widened in surprise and his lips turned down in a frown.

"No. He cannot call it off." The voice came from the nearby entrance with heavy authority and strength. All the assembled nobles trembled at the sharp visage, fiery red hair, and stately build of the new comer. If his aura was not enough to proclaim who he was, his vivid red robes with tumbling dragons across it would.

Everyone bowed before him, including the confused young lord Yin. He took a moment to accept their obeisance, and then moved forward to greet his future in-laws. He stood before Lord and Lady Du and nodded to accept their words of surprise at his presence. Then he turned to Du Fen.

"We apologise for being late for the engagement party." He said with a gentle look. Du Fen blushed slightly and waved him off gracefully.

"No need to apologise, Your Majesty. That you are here in person is such a great honour." Du Fen smiled wide and bowed again. The Emperor smiled down at his bowed head, and then lifted it up with his finger upon his bride's chin.

"To have such a handsome and accomplished young master for Our bride, that should be Our great honour." The Emperor announced so that all the assembled lords could hear. The shock was instant.

Although it was well known amongst the Du family and the capitol lord ministers, to most of the lesser lords here it came as a great surprise.

1099