Chapter 11

They were halfway to the capitol, and poor Du Fen was at the end of his wits. What big tough Emperor was he engaged to!? The man would not stop acting like a damn fool around him. He was a shameless man only. Shameless! Always spouting such honeyed words as could not be trusted.

The first night the man had praised his hunting but tried to caress his hands. Then he had sat much too close to eat, and constantly spouted such compliments as he was beginning to get annoyed and ruined his appetite.

Groom-to-be or no, there was no call for such things! He was already engaged so why did the man insist on spouting such distrustful words? It was obviously so that he could con his way into the Ger's tent at night.

Not happening. He firmly refused to share his bed with that shameless flirt. Was he the same with all the ladies and Ger at court? No wonder he didn't have a wife yet. Such awful nagging would definitely be a turn away for them.

It seems he has been saddled with a tiresome husband. He sighed and pouted as he collected wood for the fire again that night. One of the emperor's guards looked over at him in sympathy. Yes, he felt very pitiful to be forced to marry such a flirt.

He would have spit blood if he knew the guard's thoughts. Truly the man was thinking that he was a delicate young Ger, and probably having trouble managing on the road like this. He even made sure to leave all the smallest sticks for the lad to pick up.

Little did the guard realise that the boy had endured training just as rigorous and maybe twice as strict as he had for these eight years now. It would be hard to say which one would win if they both had the same experience as the other.

All of the guards from the Du household knew their young master was trained and talented, so they did not pamper him like the emperor's men. It had made a bit of a strange rift as they traveled.

The emperor's men were of the thought that the young Ger maybe was not favoured in the Du house, and therefore they had given him to get rid of him. This was not true, but made such a sympathy in all their eyes that they would spoil him.

The Emperor didn't like it at all. For one, he could not spend the night with his bride-to-be and tease him at all hours of the night. Next, his guards were all friendly and doting on the boy right there in front of him.

And last, the young Ger would glare at him and avoid him when they were not travelling in the carriage together! What kind of getting along was this? He knew the lad was a tsundere, but this was starting to make him annoyed.

How was he supposed to coax his sweet kitten to love him if he was ignored and avoided like this? Too cruel! He had never lowered himself to woo another like this, so the lad should feel privileged and grateful for such.

If the Emperor knew that the same boy was thinking him shameless and annoying flirt, he would spit blood himself. What great loving? The man was unpracticed and obvious with his honeyed words. Of course a boy would grimace and run!

So the two traveled on in such misunderstanding, but it made the Emperor impatient to reach the capitol faster. He was restless with the long travel by carriage now. Turns out it was not better to spend so much time stuck in close quarters.

"Do you want to ride on horses instead?" He finally asked the Ger one morning. The boy perked up and agreed immediately.

"Ah! That would be great." He replied. The Emperor nodded.

"Mn, it is not so good travelling so far like this." He commented. The boy nodded back.

"No, much better to be out in the fresh air." He said with relief. They shared a smile, the first one in some days. The Ger realised what he was doing and blushed as he looked away quickly.

"Your Majesty, do you think that is wise? We are traveling heavy with your bride's personal belongings, and we do not wish to have you noticed." One of the Shadow Guards whispered to the Emperor.

"It is fine. Give me a guard's outfit and scout ahead for trouble." He said with a flick of his hand. A set of their robes were passed to him and he quickly changed the fine outer robes he was wearing while his bride-to-be readied his own horse.

"Ah, you look like one of the guards." Du Fen smiled unconsciously when the Emperor walked up with his mount, eyes flicking over the black outfit trimmed with gold.

"Yes, we will be less conspicuous if it is just a Lord Ger travelling with his guards." He grinned down at the young lad and then pulled his hair up into the customary ponytail wrapped with leather.

"Please. Your Majesty will be conspicuous no matter where you go." The Ger muttered. A few of the Ger's guards close by chuckled in amusement and agreement as they ran a glance to their large Emperor with flashy red hair.

The Emperor's guards were looking at the beautiful youth though, with his lithe body, seductively tilted gold eyes and shiny black hair. They scoffed at the boy's words and privately thought that even the boy alone was quite noticeable.

The day started out quite nice, with an easy gait and a light breeze that fluttered the hair and clothes of the travellers. Du Fen was able to sightsee much better as they went, and pointed out interesting landmarks as they passed.

When they entered a thick and rolling wood however, everyone seemed to be more on guard. Visibility was low with the thick foliage and hilly landscape. They could hear the animals moving around in the forest and that had the guards on edge.

The scout came back and leaned over to report to the Emperor. He frowned and flicked his hand to send him back out. Du Fen looked over in worry and watched as the scout picked his way off into the forest at a slower pace than he arrived.

"Is everything alright, Your Majesty?" He quietly asked with a serious expression.

"Call me Jian Jun for now." He replied quietly at first, then said more loudly, "I am sure everything will be fine, Lord Du."

Du Fen realised that everything was not fine. His gaze scanned the horizon carefully, as much as he could through the thick trees. The Emperor glanced at his sharp gaze and smiled to himself.

"There is an ambush up ahead. About seventy men, all armed with swords and looking to take your luggage." He whispered carefully, barely moving his lips. The lad did not react. Then he nodded and seemed to smile lazily.

"That's good then. We will have to welcome them properly." He whispered back with a dangerous glint in his eye.

1200