Chapter 22: Snowflake

Clyde

My leg aches as I take one more step through my doorway, a pair of eyes glare at me as I take my coat off. I put it on a hook and try to avoid eye contact with the figure sitting on the couch.

"How did it go?" Token asks.

"I didn't get a job," I reply my eyes glued to the ground.

"I thought as much, how was Craig?" He asks glaring right through my body and into my soul.

"How did you..." I say confused.

"I have an informant on the inside of Craig's office, now answer my question... how is Craig?" He explains his burning glare buring through my exterior. I feel like everyone in town has a spy on Craig.

"He is well," I say trying to be as vague as possible.

"That's good... he will leave you again," Token replies with a devilish smile.

"What do you mean?" I ask curiously.

"He has abandoned you before, who's not to say it won't happen again," He informs with another condescending smile.

"What are you implying?" I inquire.

He let's out a slight laugh before standing from his position and moves eerily closer towards me, his smile fades and is replaced by a indignant face showing his anger is several shades of red.

"I am not 'implying' anything," Token retorts in a less than nice manner, he steps ever so closer to me. I stand in place unable to move awaiting his next move.

"I know you want to go back to him but remember this Clyde. I never abandoned you. He did," He continues his chocolate eyes surrounded by flames as steam bellows from his ears indicating his growing rage.

"He didn't abandon me," I argue regretting even saying a word. I look down and I can still feel Tokens glare on me.

"Yes he did, you needed him and where was he? In another state!" Token yells.

I feel his hand on my shoulder and I shudder at the touch, I start shaking expecting another bruise to add to the growing collection. I feel his hand wrap around the back of my neck and his other hand grabs my back.

I start to cry on his shoulder, he remains silent and moves his hand up and starts playing with my hair as I cry.

"I will never leave you... never," Token promises.

We pull apart and he presses his lips on my forehead, "Just don't do anything stupid and we will be fine," He says with a small smile.

I nod and wipe away the remaining tears from my surprisingly not bruised eyes. I slowly walk up the stairs trying my best to avoid the stares from Token who now rests in the same spot as when I entered.

Craig

"How can I help him?" I ask Kenny, his mind must be in another galaxy as he ignores me and stares out the window. I watch as he admires the small snowflakes falling to the asphalt.

"We are kinda like snowflakes," He finally says breaking the silence.

"How so?" I ask with a laugh.

"We are all unique in our own special way and when we finally hit rock bottom we get stepped on or run over by life, a snowflake falls to the ground to then be stepped on by a person or be run over by a car," He says sighing.