Chapter 29: Long Road Ahead pt.1

Craig

"I'm sorry what?" I ask flabbergasted and a little caught off guard by the words Clyde just said.

"I need to get out of here, I cant really remember you but something tells me you can be trusted," He says staring at me.

I nod whilst staring back, "I need to make a call."

After a brief but intense phone call, I try to calm Clyde down by talking to him. Hearing the trauma and torture he is enduring sends short waves of pain into my heart striking it with the force of Professor Chaos.

As his depressing words fill the air, I stare into his eyes searching within him for the bubbly happiness i fell in love with, but seeing only sorrow and despair shakes my body to the core. I feel the urge to lock him into a warm embrace.

I wrap my arms around the boy and he quickly shrieks and pulls away from me shivering with fear. His shaking continues as his searching eyes link with mine, he glares into my eyes and I stare down at his.

"Here's our ride," I say standing and looking at the car driving towards us, the car pulls over and Kenny hops out with a smile.

He goes to hug Clyde but I stop him just in time, I shake my head to Kenny and he gets the hint. He just smiles and opens the door for Clyde who quickly enters the passenger seat.

"Here are the keys and remember to keep driving, Token will soon have the police searching the entire town," Kenny explains handing a set of keys to me.

"We will rendezvous at The Marshes Farm," I say sitting in the driver seat, Kenny nods and heads off down the street.

I start the car and tell Clyde to keep his head down, as the car travels along the asphalt I try to start a proper conversation with him.

"What do you remember?" I ask, he looks at me blankly so I quickly dismiss the question, "Sorry."

Clyde begins to look down at his feet, his eyes remain there for sometime. Too lighten the mood in the animosity filled car, I play some music.

I start to hum along to the random songs that I have only heard over the radio or some kid blasting it from their speaker whilst walking with friends.

"How are you?" I ask Clyde again trying to start a conversation.

"I don't know," He replies with no emotion behind his voice, his face blank and pale.

I look over to him only for a split second, his eyes are glossed over as if tears are about to fall, seconds after I look away he starts to break down.

I wrap my arm around his shoulder while keeping my eyes on the road, he tenses at my touch but quickly eases into it, his cries soon fade.

"I'm sorry, this is just a lot..." Clyde explains his voice shaky.

"If you need to talk about anything, I'm here for you," I say, my full intent to make him feel relaxing working like a charm. He nods and looks forward out the windshield but he is more calm and collected instead of the lost and confusion he had only mere seconds ago.

"Did I ever tell you about my past?" He asks, I look at him and begin to think about all the conversations we have had over the years. Not a single one comes to mind.