- 5 -

"I know you did

"I know you did." You said. "But sometimes, just give the kid a break." 

"He could've killed you with that stunt he pulled." He said gruffly. 

You sighed, "I'm fine aren't I? I can take care of myself Dixon, I haven't made it this far to get killed in some accident. Talk about second hand embarrassment." You murmured, leaning against the bench with a small grin. 

There was silence for a moment, you turned to him, "Can I tell you something Daryl?" 

"Mhm." He murmured.

"I'm proud of you." You said.

He turned to you, to see if that comment was to be followed by a burst of laughter, but it wasn't, instead he was met with a pair of kind and sincere eyes. "Eh?"

"With everything that's happened? Alexandria being torn apart, Carl, Rick..." 

The two of you took a moment to be silent, thinking about those you'd lost.

"You won't leave will you..?" Daryl murmured. 

You glanced at him, "What? No... I'm not going anywhere." You said. "This bench is pretty comfortable."

God did he hate your humour sometimes, he'd tried to be sincere with you and you'd somehow managed to make a joke. He rolled his eyes a little, leaning back, looking over to the gates of Alexandria.

"I push everyone away..." He muttered, "I did it with Rick before-"

"Rick knows you loved him." You said, standing, "He couldn't have asked for a better brother." You reassured. 

Daryl turned to you, walking over, lifting you into a secure and strong hug, something very rare from him, but with his movements, you could tell he was worried, deep down he'd lost most of his family, he was trying to cling onto you for dear life, he couldn't lose anyone else that he could call family. 

And you knew that wouldn't be any time soon.