Chapter One: The Beginning, Obviously.

🌅🌅🌅

This is the story of Valerie Reece and a world that only really makes sense with the help of our imagination.

Valerie was only 15 when she got to know this place existed.

It all started with a typical, totally boring Monday in Halsburg, Valerie's town.

I would say typical because her Mondays had a routine. She would wake up by her annoying alarm clock, slink out of bed because she never got enough sleep, drag her lazy feet into the bathroom and sit on the toilet for half an hour.

Then she would take a bath, style her hair as the spirit led, apply little or no make up only to hide all the effort under a wine colored hoodie.

Why a wine colored hoodie?

It's a long story but I have time.

Recently, bad things had been happening in Halsburg, not like the place was good to begin with but things were just...worse.

It was inexplicable though, everyday just seemed greyer and duller than before, people moved around quietly, there was nothing like lively people whistling merrily to work or school or where ever they were going, any chirping birds were shot down with catapults, there was no ice cream, everything was just there.

School was worse, bullies took over, everyone went to school only to survive the day and get the hell out of there. TJ and her gang made it a point to pick on Valerie as much as possible.

So she wore a hoodie with a not too dark and not too bright color to hide from them.

The only ray of sunshine in literally the entire town was her best friend, Sophie.
She smiled a lot, skipped everywhere, whistled merrily, raised her hand to answer questions in class and wore brightly colored clothes!

TJ never picked on her, in fact, TJ was scared of Sophie. She was just too bright and happy for her and nothing could make Sophie sad.

So you can guess who called Valerie, screaming what a lovely Monday it was.

Yeah, you probably guessed right.

"Hi Val-Val!" Sophie Seamus screamed from her end of the phone "are you ready for school yet?"

"Hardly" Valerie mumbled.

"Oh come on" she chided "there's art class today remember, don't you want to show our cute art teacher, Mr. Knight your new art work?"

Valerie's eyes popped open, if there was something she loved more than painting, it would be pestering the art teacher.

"We're having Mr. Knight today?!" Valerie asked and glanced at her table where her latest art work was sitting.

"No, Val-Val we're having art class with Mr. Knight" Sophie said knowingly and her friend blushed.

Ok, she might have had a teensy-weensy crush on her art teacher but who didn't?

"Ok, ok, I'm ready, see you at school in a few!" Valerie said and hung up, she tossed her phone into her school bag with new spirit. She took one more look at her precious painting before putting it in the bag.