𝙉𝙞𝙣𝙚𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣

« Bella's POV »

The day was progressing dreadfully slow, and again my lack of sleep wasn't helping. It was 12:00, lunchtime. I was only a couple hours into the day but it felt like I'd been at school for a life time. I was on edge; about to snap or break at any given moment. I felt like a time bomb.

I stood at the salad bar, spending a little too long on my creation. I was procrastinating the lunch I'd have to sit through, and everyone's-but especially Mike and Jessica's- obnoxious behaviour. I was worried I'd become a little too argumentative when the subject of the Cullens would could up as it always did.

"Hey," I looked up to see Alice beside me. Her ghostly skin looked particularly pale today and her eyes were sad, but had a glint of persistence. We hadn't spoken in three days. I didn't tell her any details about the date or why it had gone wrong. I assumed Edward would do that. I didn't call her after Charlie went to bed to talk to her about my school day. We didn't make eye contact in the halls. There had been zero interaction. "Salad's great, huh?"

Salad, Alice? You're going to talk to me about salad?

I glanced away from her to my normal cafeteria table. Jessica sat giving Alice the side eye, and she leaned over and whispered something to Mike. Whatever she said sent mike into hysterics, and I frowned.

I then looked over to the Cullens table, feeling another set of eyes on me. It was Edward. His eyes peered into mine, waiting for me to talk to Alice. Of course they were in this together. I looked down to see that he was spinning the cap off his untouched bottle of water, and I was reminded of the time he first ever showed me his soft side after I'd knocked myself out.

I looked back at Alice, realizing I hadn't answered her comment about the salad.

"Yeah, salad is alright." I shrugged dryly. I didn't want to be rude to Alice. She never meant to hurt me, but she still did. I silenced the thought in my mind that suggested I was being too sensitive, and reminded myself that this was a perfectly valid thing to be upset over.

We were both quiet for another few seconds, Alice hovering by my side.

"Bella, I'm really sorry. We should talk about this." She spoke at last, and I struggled to think of a response. It had only been a couple of days and the pain of Edwards confession still hadn't subsided. I didn't want to talk about it. "I never meant to upset you and neither did Edward. Truly, he cares for you in a way I've never seen him care for anyone else."

I pulled a subtle face of annoyance as she mentioned his name. Edward. How dare he send Alice over here to put in a good word for him.

He should talk to me himself and give me the answers I deserve.

"Right." I nodded stiffly, shutting down the topic. Alice knew my expressions and tones better than anyone, and I know that she could sense my discomfort. She wouldn't push Edwards innocence again. "Listen, I should get to my table."

Before I could turn away Alice spoke again.

"Do you want to sleepover this weekend?" She suggested. Her tone was hopeful, but I could also tell she knew what my answer would be a let down.

A sleepover with Alice meant a lot of things. Likely a movie night with Jasper like we sometimes had where she'd give us trivia questions through the entire thing. There was even a chance- a very good chance- that Edward would join too. We'd watch a classic or a period peice until I'd get too tired to stay awake, and Jasper would always suggest we turn it off. I always fell asleep first and they'd sneak off.