twenty eight

songhee got off her brother's bed and turned around to give him one more smile

songhee got off her brother's bed and turned around to give him one more smile. she stepped towards the door and reached out to turn the knob. the night light on jeno's desk was bright enough for her to see where she was going.

songhee raised her arm and gasped as jisung's hand gripped onto her wrist out of the blue. she blinked and turned her head to see jisung looking sleepy and dishevelled. his eyes were wet and tired and...

was he... crying? realisation hit songhee. 

"how... how much did you hear..?" she asked quietly.

"everything." jisung put on a shaky, awkward smile. the dim lights still managed to make his eyes look like they were sparkling and it made songhee's heart feel weak.

they stared at each other with soft expressions, trying to read each others minds. jeno watched, intrigued as jisung and his sister remained locked, his hand around her wrist.

"c-can you please not go?" jisung said slowly. "i mean, can you please stay..? with me?"

songhee blinked and let her thoughts and feelings process. she looked back down at jisung's pleading expression.

"i... i guess," she trailed off then turned around to jeno. "do you mind?"

"oh, of course not," jeno grinned. "as long as what you're doing is pg." he winked.

way to ruin the moment. songhee laughed. she was thankful for the joke though - it made jisung laugh as well. jisung's cheeks pulled into a grin and he felt his face turn warm.

"pfft," songhee laughed off jeno's remark as jisung removed his hand from her wrist, and instead held her hand, lightly pulling her towards him. he shifted over to make some space for songhee and the two awkwardly felt that this situation was much too familiar.

she and jisung lay side by side, staring up at the ceiling in awkward tension.

"you know what? i'll give you guys some privacy, talk things through," jeno got up and left, seeking songhee's bedroom for some sleep (finally and perhaps).

after jeno left, songhee and jisung lay a few centimetres apart, as if there was some invisible barrier between them. it was weird - and funny - how they usually used to exchange skinship freely, but now, they were almost too scared to touch each other.

jisung turned to lie on his side so that he could face songhee.

"songhee-ah, look here, please," he said quietly.

songhee hesitantly turned to mirror his position. she felt that his gaze was piercing, yet comforting somehow. the gentleness in jisung's eyes made her relax.

"why didn't you tell me earlier?" he spoke in his deep, honey-smooth voice that drove songhee insane.

songhee remained silent, but the answer was obvious in her face. jisung smiled softly, bringing a hand to songhee's face to trace the outline of her cheek. he brushed her hair out of her face and songhee felt that she was unable to move. his touch was almost paralysing.