thirty

the couple made their way through the cozy café, which was soothingly filled with sounds of gentle chatter and clinking of cups

the couple made their way through the cozy café, which was soothingly filled with sounds of gentle chatter and clinking of cups. the scent of freshly brewed coffee and chocolate desserts made songhee sigh in pleasure.

jisung led songhee to a table towards the back, near the pick-up bench, but nestled in a corner for a some privacy.

a friendly barista by the name of 'kim minju' came up to their table with a refreshing smile.

"is it your birthday today?" she asked songhee, noticing her gift and card.

"yeah," songhee nodded and gave an awkward but polite smile.

"happy birthday, customer," minju addressed her gently. "we offer birthday specials, would you be interested in that?"

"oh?" songhee was surprised. she thought it was just a joke that cafés and restaurants actually offered special things if you said it was your birthday. she contemplated how easily someone could fake a birthday, and laughed internally.

"oh, yes please," jisung grinned, answering for his girlfriend. minju nodded and handed them a special desserts menu.

"all cake prices are discounted and candles can be requested," minju summed up before she bowed. "have a good day," and she left with an elegant turn.

"the cakes here are nice i heard," jisung said, looking down and skimming the menu. songhee smiled as she watched his eyes wander on the page, his lips slightly parted. she was entraced by his quiet and peaceful demeanour.

"songhee?" jisung repeated her name, songhee having not heard it the first time.

"huh?" songhee snapped out of her daydreaming (about jisung).

"what cake do you want?"

"oh, um..." songhee took the menu from jisung's hands. "this one."

"yes! i was hoping you'd pick that one," jisung laughed. they called over minju the barista and ordered, including their drinks.

~

"happy birthday to you~" minju sang, as it was part of her job whenever someone ordered birthday specials. jisung joined in, a little embarrassed, but chuckling. songhee looked extremely awkward.

happy birthday lee songhee,

happy birthday to you~"

minju clapped and gave a sweet smile. "may i ask how old you are turning?"

"twenty," songhee grinned. (note: this is korean age, so she's nineteen international age)

"wow then you're an adult now," minju returned the grin. "i'm twenty as well, actually."

"wow for real? that's cool," songhee (who was terrible at small talk) made the effort to appeal as a friendly person.