Confusing Confessions

Cassie POV

Once the inevitable hangover had worn off late the next day, I began to dwell on everything that happened the night before. I kissed Malfoy again? And he actually wanted to? What was going on in the world?
I needed to talk to him again but didn't have much of a chance. Lessons were ending early for the Third Task which just happened to be Ancient Runes and before then he conveniently avoided me in the corridors.

The day of the Third Task dawned and I mooched around the Entrance Hall to wish Harry luck. Hermione and Ron weren't talking to me since the night of the party as they'd all been given a week of detentions whereas McGonagal had only given me one night as she couldn't prove I was in attendance at the party. They were annoyed I'd been caught outside the ROR and even more so when they discovered I was with Malfoy. I knew once their detentions were over, they'd forgive me soon enough but until then, I wasn't welcome with Harry's friends by the arena.

So I made my way to the stands alone to find a spare seat. Initially I headed for the Weasley twins but things had been a little frosty since I'd ditched George at the party so sighing I turned to the one remaining outer seat. As I got nearer I recognised the blonde occupant beside it, making me stop dead, causing a hurried Beauxbatons boy to crash into my back.
Cursing something in French he passed me and headed towards Fleur's side of the stands and I continued.
I had a few questions for Malfoy anyway.

"S'cuse," I said brightly enough when I was level with him; he looked up surprised, "This seat taken?"

He looked down then back up but surprisingly not towards his friends who were watching over suspiciously. Then he shrugged, "No."

"Great." I replied plonking down with considerable force and leaning my feet on the chair in front, "Good view."

"You not with Potter?" he asked nodding to the arena where Harry was stood nervously next to Dumbledore, flanked by Ron and Hermione.

"No." I sighed, "Not welcome."

I expected a scathing retort but none came so smiling I finally turned to look at him. He didn't look as relaxed as usual, obviously a little worried what people would think, however the embarrassed look he usually wore when we were together wasn't present. Perhaps he was getting used to my presence after all.
However the other Slytherins were less tolerant.

"Draco?"  I heard Pansy's familiar simpering voice as she was sat right next to him so we both turned to look, "Why-"

"Drop it." he ordered cutting her off, she looked shocked for a second but didn't give up that quickly.

"But Draco your father," she whispered clearly loud enough for us all to hear, "You need to-"

"I said drop it," he repeated firmly no longer looking at her but straight ahead, "She's staying here."

Pansy gave up and leaned back scowling but wisely didn't utter another word. She turned back to the others and began muttering inaudibly with them.
I was fine with ignoring them but Malfoy was finding it harder, occasionally twitching when we heard his name.

"Your friends seem nice," I commented nodding at them, now having their backs fully turned, "Pretty accepting."

"Yeah well," he mumbled, "I don't really care."

I raised my eyebrows, "Makes a nice change."

"I should've gone to the Yule Ball with you," he muttered quietly but loud enough so I heard. I turned completely to him in surprise, "Would've been more fun."