Childish

Such a sweet boy. So kind, so caring. Always smiling brighter than the sun. His dark eyes seeming to hold so much light, being the gateway to his innocent soul. His strange hair, standing up alone, a tooth missing from his top row. Adorable, childish, so full of life. Worries withered away by playful acts.

Grabbing my hand, leading me to the sand we'd visit so often. His bear held in the other, overalls tied together by loose threads, though he doesn't mind.

My knees feel weak as I fell to the ground, yellow specks covering my pants. My friend laughs, his giggle soft yet so strong. The laugh soon fading as tears begin spilling from his void eyes, my heart racing as I stand, legs darting to the one who showed me kindness for all these years. His knees buckle, his body falls to the floor, clutching his chest as water continues rushing down his puffed cheek.

No command needed, nothing but instinct guides my every move. Arms lacing around the boy's torso, clutching onto him, he seems to appreciate the gesture. Holding me close, his breathing steadies, tears falling slower as he leans onto my frail build. My hands pick up a faint rhythm, I notice his heartbeat through his skin, the racing speed decreasing with every minute.

Laying on the pastel beach, waves reaching the ends of our feet. He looks at me, pain written over his pale face as he attempts to speak, words never leaving his broken lips. My thoughts travel nowhere as I stare at his flawless skin, pink dusted over his scattered freckles. A wondrous sight awaits us as we gaze to the horizon, the sun leaving our life as nightfall arrives.

Thoughts picking up again, my heart yearns to let him know. Tell him there will always be a brighter day to come, as the loss of a leaf doesn't mean the tree has died. It lives on, he will know what I imply when my words speak those of pity and trust. My fingers entwined with his, the weight of his head resting on my feeble shoulder.

Though his smile may be sweet, his actions innocent and full of childish wonder, I finally fathom what torture his soul has endured. His naive facade withering away as emotion takes control, breaking any attempt at remaining hidden.

Our time in the light of the sun ends, we take off, sauntering down the path of stone and dirt. Silence floods our journey, crickets being the only ones to break our soundless walk. His head low, my heart shatters as I gaze at his emotionless state, not even the kiss of the wind on his skin earning a response.

His furrowed brows inform me of his busy mind, his thoughts never settling until our trek is half over. My cold hand laces around his, a small movement of his head when he glances at my actions. His eyes eventually meet mine, legs never stopping to continue our stroll as we share a soft smile, his filled with sadness as mine is filled with empathy.

"Tordy?"

His voice almost a whisper as the gentle breeze washes over us, his hand holding mine tighter.

"Yes, Tom?"

The large, white and blue house now only meters away, my eyes never leaving those of my friend, his smile fading away by the second.

"You're not gonna leave me too, right?"

The sound of his voice cracking making my chest feel heavy and tight. Our feet stop moving, my body turns to him as he mirrors the movement. I release his hand from mine as I move closer, my small arms wrapping around his torso, feeling his warm breath on my tender skin as he returns the gesture. Water falling from his face, a small whimper escaping his lips, I let my eyelids gently close, shushing him while tightening my hold on his body.

"I will never leave you. I promise."