Artificial

Tightening the last bolt, the man stood up and took a step back before staring at his creation.

A smile was plastered on his face as he took it all in, looking over every sheet of metal and layer of paint he used.

It was magnificent. The light bounced off the silver exterior, making it seem shiny and sparkling.

The man let out a deep breath he'd been holding in before he walked up to the android and held it's head. He stared at his creation as it slept, grinning with excitement as his fingers traced over a small switch on it's neck. His heartbeat picked up speed as he stopped for a moment, his mind racing with worried thoughts until he calmed down.

Sighing, he flipped the switch on the android, pulling his hands away before patiently waiting a few steps away.

All was silent. Not a movement was seen. After a few moments, the man let out a disappointed sigh and walked to his robot again, tool in hand.
Though in an instant, the android sat up, causing the man to topple over backwards and fall down. He landed with a grunt, groaning from the pain in his lower back.

Eventually, he stood up once more, noticing the android was now sitting upright, eyelids still closed. It didn't move again. It simply stayed in that position.

"H-hello?"

The man's voice was shaky as he stepping closer to his creation, afraid it might make another sudden action. Moments passed and the android responded, his eyelids opening ever so slowly, until the man was faced with two black eyes staring back at him. The two stared at each other, taking in the other's strange appearance and trying to make sense of the situation.

"Hello," The man slowly walked up to his invention, reaching his hand slowly towards it. "...Are you... functioning?"
His fingers lightly brushed the shoulder of the android, earning a slight flinch from the robot, though it adapted to the touch quickly.

"Who are you?"

Its voice was soft, a trait the man was grateful for. He ran his hands along the arm of his invention, feeling the smooth sheets of metal as he smiled warmly.

"My name's Tord. I created you."

He faced the android again, his hand resting on it's shoulder as he felt the warm metal under it. The robot looked at Tord's hand on his shoulder before turning back to him.

"Why?"

The question took Tord by surprise as he lifted his hand off again, placing it next to his body.

"Well, because..."

No reason came to Tord's mind as he said that. There was no actual reason. So he simply shrugged.

"Why not?" He let out a small chuckle as the robot nodded slightly.

"Who am I?"

The robot looked concerned as Tord stopped smiling.

"I... don't know. I didn't think of a name for you yet."

Both looked slightly upset, the android looking at his artificial body and around the room they were in.

"Who would you like to be?"

The robot shrugged, his eyes scanning the room before locking onto an object in the corner.

"What's that?"

He lifted his silver finger and pointed to an old teddy bear on the far side of the room.

"Oh, that's just Tomee bear. I've had him since I was little."

He walked over and grabbed the bear before walking back to his invention, holding his childhood toy out to it.