Soulmate au

Tom's pov

I'm so nervous.
I'm so freaking nervous right now.
My counter is down to 10 hours, and I am NOT ready to do this. I've waited half my life for this day, but I have no idea what's going to happen.

You see (here comes the cliché 'explaining what's going on in the story' part), everyone has a soulmate. One person who is supposedly their "one true love" or something like that. I honestly thought it was ridiculous... until I noticed the blue counter on my arm. It appeared when I was around 12 or so. I didn't know what it was at first, so I asked my parents. When they saw it, they were... shocked to say the least.

There are many different ways of finding your soulmate. Some people have a red string of fate that ties the soulmates together, in a manner of speaking. Others see in black and white until they meet their soulmates.

And then, there are people like me. People with some kind of marking on their body. My parents met with the string of fate, and expected me to have the same, seeing as how it's always been that way in my family. But... NOPE.

I have a counter on my arm. A counter that started at 5 years, and is now down to 10 hours. I don't know what'll happen when it reaches 0. I'll most likely be on my way to school by the time it goes off. I guess... there's only one way to find out...

After I got ready for bed and read a little, the counter was down to 9 hours. Letting out a shaky 'good night' to my parents, I let sleep wash me away from this nerve wracking reality.

*****time skip******

"Bye!"

I waved goodbye to my parent as I walked out the front door, turning to stroll down the desolate footpath, my mind blank until a thought popped into my head. I looked at the counter on my arm.

"OH SHIT!"

The counter was down to 2 minutes.
2. Freaking. Minutes.
How did I not notice that sooner?!

I looked around me again. there was no one in sight. I started to sweat a little as I wondered what could happen when the time was up.

1 minute left. By this time, I had made my way to the park, the lush green trees surrounding the path I was walking down.

30 seconds. My heart started beating faster. I was getting really nervous. What if i don't meet my soulmate when it goes off?

15 seconds. I looked around the park. Nobody was there. My mind was racing like crazy. I was so distracted that I failed to notice when I walked into a tree.

5 seconds. I fell to the ground, holding my head before looking up at the large oak in front of me.

"Hey! A little help?"

I tilted my head up a little more to see a boy around my age on a branch in the tree, his leg apparently stuck between two other branches. He had smooth, caramel hair that seemed to stick up like two horns, his sliver eyes gazing into mine as I tried to wrap my head around what just happened.

I looked at the counter on my arm. It was at 0. I looked at the boy again, finally understanding the situation. I just met my soulmate. And he's stuck in a tree.

"Hello?"

He called out to me again, finally snapping me out of my thoughts. I blushed and took my backpack off before stepping on a branch and climbing the tree. As soon as I reached him, I grabbed his leg and pulled it as hard as I could, eventually freeing it from the branches that were holding it. When he regained control of his leg, the boy turned to me and hugged me.

"Thank you so much! I would've been stuck up there for days if you hadn't come!"

I chuckled lightly when he pulled away, reaching his hand out to me. I shook it and smiled.

"My name's Tord by the way."

"I'm Tom."

We both smiled at each other, still sitting on the branch of the tree peacefully, until Tord's eyes widened slightly. He pulled back the sleeve of his red hoodie to reveal a red counter on his arm, the numbers all being 0. He looked back at me with a slight smirk.

"So, what now, soulmate?"