Kabanata 17

Kabanata 17

Hold

I woke up in the middle of the night and Ephraim's back was the first thing I saw as soon as I opened my eyes. Nasa balcony siya. Anong ginagawa niya rito?

I slowly rose up as I reach for the bedside lamp's switch. Nang lumiwanag ay mas naaninag ko siya sa veranda. I saw how he took and released a deep breath before throwing away a piece of crumpled paper.

Dalawang taon na kaming magkakilala ni Ephraim. Ilang buwan na kaming magkasama. Matagal-tagal na rin at marami na kaming alaalang nabuo. Pero hanggang ngayon, hindi ko pa rin alam ang buo niyang pangalan.

I tried searching his name online but I wasn't able to find any information about him. Kahit kasi parte siya ng sikat na banda, walang impormasyon tungkol sa buo niyang pangalan. He was only known as Ephraim. Ni hindi nga sigurado kung totoo bang iyon ang pangalan niya o stage name lang.

Of course, I tried asking him. But everytime I open up a topic about his family and his background, he would always purse his lips and shrug his shoulders. I wonder why.

"You're awake," he said as soon as he opened the double glass doors. "Are you okay?"

I lifted my head and looked straight into his eyes. I smiled. You can take off that strong façade now, Ephraim.

"Y-You're not as dead as the white dwarfs in the sky, are you?" I asked him quietly.

I can see right through his eyes that something wrong was going on. I can see right through his eyes that he's not fine.

He's always the one who says and does hilarious things to make me laugh. He's always the one who pulls me up when everything else sinks. He's always the one who reminds me that this world is a great big place and I am not yet done exploring every inch of it.

He's always the one who stays when everybody else leaves. He's always the one who never fails to fulfill his promises. Though he's not always there, I know he's just somewhere around this great big city, watching me from afar. Sinabi niya na iyon sa akin dati. He's been watching me for a long time.

The lights were dim but I saw how his expression changed for moment. One second he was broken, another second he was back with his smiling lips.

What's wrong, Ephraim? Why can't you tell me? What's bothering you?

I wanted to ask him those questions but I pursed my lips. I held it all in because I know that he will never give me an answer. He's always been a very private person. Magsasabi siya kung kailan niya gustong magsabi.

"Of course not!" He faked a chuckle. "It's past two, Missy. You need to take a rest. Aalis na tayo bukas nang hapon."

We have decided to start our stargazing adventure tomorrow before dusk. So I still have one day and a half to spend with my Mom and friends. Nalaman ko rin na bibisita rin dito mamaya si Tamara through a text message she personally composted and sent.

But I didn't follow his commands. I just sat there, eyes on him, hoping that I was able to send my signals to him.

You can lean on me.

You can lean on me when everything gets hard, Ephraim. Even if my hands are weak, I can hold yours when you couldn't stop the shaking—maybe because of anger, frustration, fear... anything. Just lean on me.

If life tries striking you with lighting and flames, tell me to ease the pain. Tell me to treat the burnt part—your every wound. You can lean on me. But I know you will never do that. So I can only give you signals that I'll also be here for you if someday, you will need me too.