Chapter 25 - Mother and Son

Molly's POV*

Greg and I were just chilling in our hotel's penthouse.

"May I know what type of a friend Finn is?" Greg asked.

"Well, he's surprisingly nice and sweet. He gives presents all the time. He even treats the entire crew with lots of food but the only downside is that he's full of himself. He thinks that he can get whoever and whatever he wants," I answered.

"Jackass."

Greg was playing tetris on his phone. He's pretty good at it.

"Can I try?" I asked.

"Sure," he answered handing his phone over.

Tetris was Missy and I's favourite game growing up. Naalala ko binilhan pa kami ng actual toy kasi nag-uunahan kami sa family computer namin na iniingat-ingatan ni Papa. Playing it again reminded me of the good memories that we shared together. Minsan pa nagkasugatan kami dahil sa pag-aaway. That's how serious we were as kids lalo na sa tetris.

"My sister and I used to play this growing up."

"Really? I loved that too as a kid! I'm glad it is available on the app store. It brings me back to when my family was complete and happy," Greg answered.

"I'm sorry to ask but what happened to your family?" I asked.

"My father died in the military when I was a kid. He died for the people that he served. I remember when he promised to play tetris with me once he gets back but it never happened," Greg said..

Isinandal ko ang ulo ko sa balikat niya para i-comfort siya. Hindi ko alam kung kayanin ko 'yung gano'ng pangyayari as a kid.

"I'm so sorry."

"Actually it's nice that you asked me about him. I want to relive the moments that we shared together."

"Are you going to share more stories?" I asked.

"Is that what you want?" Greg asked back.

"Yes."

"Well, my father loved me and my mom. He always brought food and toys home after his duties. He always made sure that my mom and I are living our lives to the fullest even without him by our side." Greg paused. He took a deep breathe before continuing.

"Look at this," he said getting something from the inside pocket of his jacket. "It's the locket that he gave me a few days before he left," he continued.

Binuksan ko 'yung locket. Medyo nagfefade na 'yung photo but the people in it are still recognizable. Greg looks just like his dad.

"You look exactly like him," I said.

"I know. That's the reason why mom never married again. She said that I remind her of dad and that's enough to make her feel safe and secure."

"Where's your mom?" I asked.

"She's actually here in Los Angeles," he said. Nagulat ako sa sinabi niya. If she's here, bakit hindi niya dinadalaw? Bakit hindi niya sinabi agad?

"Have you visited her?" I asked.

"Yes, I did but I never told anyone about her."

"Why not?"

"Because she has alzheimer's disease and I don't want any of you to worry." At this point, naiiyak na ako sa awa ko kay Greg pati sa nanay niya. I can't imagine how painful it must be for him na wala na ang tatay niya tapos may malubhang sakit pa ang nanay niya.

"Sometimes she recognizes me. It hurts to see her get teary eyed whenever I show her this locket," Greg said.

Niyakap ko siya para mas maramdaman niyang hindi siya nag-iisa. Ngayon lang yata ako nakakita ng lalaking ganito kalalim ang pinagdadaanan.

"Thank you for being our source of happiness. You cheer us up even though you yourself is struggling."

"Do you want to visit her?" he asked. I nodded at him and he started searching for a car rental.

Si Greg ang nagdrive ng sasakyan papunta sa facility. Kaya pala palaging wala si Greg. He visits his mom here as often as he can tapos pumupunta lang siya sa New York 'pag may career opportunity.

He has been lying about being okay. Ngayon niya lang daw nasabi na it's not his first time in Los Angeles at usually umaalis siya para bisitahin ang nanay niya. He feeds her, comforts her, and makes her feel safe. At kung may time na natitira, he hangs out with his childhood friends sa area.

"Does Reagan know anything about this?" I asked. Greg shook his head.

"Why not?" I asked again.

"Reagan has been through a lot and I know how much he needs my support especially when he and Anna broke up. I don't want to worry him."

"You are such a great friend," I said.

Pumasok kami sa loob ng facility. Nakakalungkot isipin na lahat ng mga nakikita kong matanda rito eh once na naging katulad ko, katulad natin. They once lived a happy life. Siguro some of them struggled more than the others.

It's sad to see them live their lives like this. Wala nang naaalala, nagsa-suffer sa isang disease, at narito nalang kasama ang ibang matatanda. I'm scared na one day mapunta rin ako sa ganito.

Greg and I offered to help the nurses and the staff. We are now wearing scrubs that are necesarry when assisting someone. Inaantay nalang namin 'yung nanay niya na dalhin sa'min para alagaan.

"Hi mom," Greg greeted his mom. She just stared at him trying to figure out who's the person in front of her.

Dahan dahan niyang hinaplos ang mukha ni Greg. I can see the tears forming in her eyes.

"Who are you?" she asked. Greg burst into tears. He hugged his mom and told her how much he loves her.

"It's me, Greg."

Kinuha ni Greg 'yung locket sa loob ng jacket niya ay iniabot sa nanay niya. Tiningnan lang 'yon ng nanay niya na parang nagtataka kung ano nga ba 'yung hawak niya at kung sino ba 'yung mga nasa litrato.

"Do you remember me?" Greg asked.

"Who are you?" his mom asked again. I can see the pain in her eyes. Parang may connection siyang nararamdaman sa anak niya pero hindi niya mawari kung sino.

"I am your son, Greg."

She still didn't recognize him. My tears started to fall down my cheeks. It's heartbreaking to see how painful it must be for them.

"I'm sorry I had to bring you here," Greg said.

"Don't cry. Please don't cry," his mom said wiping the tears off his cheek.

"I love you so much, mom."

"Stop crying, my baby. Do you want chocolate ice cream?" Greg and I were shocked. Parang nakakaalala unti-unti ang nanay niya.

"You used to say that when I was a kid," Greg said.

"Where's my son? I miss my son," his mom said. She started crying and it broke my heart into million pieces.

"I am your son."

"Where's my little boy? I want to see my little boy. Give him an ice cream!"

Nagwawala na 'yung nanay ni Greg. Humingi na ako ng tulong para pakalmahin 'yung nanay ni Greg. Kinuha siya ng nurses at saka tinreat ng mga gamot. Hinug ko si Greg. I want him to feel better and I know how much he needs support right now.

"I'm sorry brought you here," Greg said removing his scrubs.

"It's okay. Thank you for making me love my parents even more. Please always remember that I'm always here for you whenever you need me. Thank you for being so supportive of us even though you're struggling more than us."

Pumunta ako sa office ng facility. I donated them enough money para masuportahan 'yung iba pang matatanda especially Greg's mom.