Memories

"Betty, I really like the emotion you had on the last scene.  And your expression was just on point."

Hyeyoon nods at Alex, her partner in the US drama.  "Thanks Alex.  You did well yourself."

"Here, ice Americano." Alex hands over the coffee to Hyeyoon and sits down beside her in the resting area of the filming site. "So how long has it been since you came to US?"

Hyeyoon takes a sip and puts down her coffee, it's a bit too bitter for her taste. A sudden flashback of Rowoon giving her hot mocha on second day of school comes back to her.  She blinks a few times before politely thanks Alex.

"Thanks for the coffee.  It's been 3 months already. I just enrolled to UCLA last week.  I have been really busy ever since I moved here, there are a lots to do and learn!"

"I totally understand, I moved from Florida last year, it was hard for me.  Imagine moving from another country! Phew." Alex wipes off the sweat from his forehead.  "I feel bad for you.  So have you had time to visit anywhere?"

"Not really.  I have been to Korean town couple of times, that's it." Hyeyoon tucks her hair to the back of her ear.  "I will probably go visit some places next week when I have a break."

Alex notices one of her ear rings is missing.  "Betty, you must have dropped your ear ring, one of them is missing." He starts looking on the floor searching for it.

"Oh no no no, Alex.  I only have one ear ring.  It's my favorite ear ring, so I still wear it even though I have one left. But thanks for looking."

Alex smiles "Not a problem.  Right, we are both off next week, why don't I show you around?". Alex is eager to be her tour guide.  He likes her since the first day they met.  He had been trying to get close to her for a month now.  He is not sure whether Hyeyoon is being shy or she is too busy to notice it, she hasn't been showing any interest of him yet.

"Umm...." Hyeyoon hesitates, she is not in a mood of going out with anyone, but it seems rude to reject him, since they will be working together for a long time.  "Ok, sure.  Let's meet up next week."

________________________________

Hyeyoon wipes off the water on her face and looks at herself in the mirror.  It is a long day of filming, she looks exhausted.  She carefully applies her facemask, that's when she notices something blinking.  Oh right, she forgets to take off her ear ring.  She takes it off and puts it on her palm.  It's an ear ring with seven stars, they are linked together with thin silver chains, resembling shooting stars.

A flash of memory comes back to her. It was on the last night she spent with Rowoon.  They were holding hands and taking a walk after dinner.

Hyeyoon pressed on her stomach "I was so full.  Your mom kept feeding me like I haven't been eating for centuries". Rowoon laughed. "She did that because she loves you".  Hyeyoon nodded.  "I know, I know, and your mom's kimchi is the best......sigh, I am going to miss all this."

Rowoon stopped walking and turned to her.  He cupped her cheeks and said "You can have as much as you want when you come back.....so don't say it like it's the last time...."

Hyeyoon tightened her lips, then let out a smile, "You are right.  I want all kinds of Kimchi from you mom when I come back."

Rowoon smiled back and took her hand leading her up to the light tower.  They sat down on a bench to enjoy the summer breeze and stary night. 

Hyeyoon leaned back on the bench and looked up to the sky.  "Ar.....how long has it been since we were here last time?  I missed this."

"Umm.....it's almost 15 years ago? It's been too long.". Rowoon also looked up.  Tonight the sky is clear, they could see millions of star from where they were, on the Bom island.

"Do you think we will see it tonight?" Hyeyoon asked.  They didn't see the meteor shower in Busan, Rowoon promised her that they would try to watch again on Bom island.  He kept his promise.

"We will.... definitely." He promised.

Hyeyoon layed down on his laps and looked at him.  "I am going to remember this night forever, whether we see the shooting stars or not.  Everything is so beautiful, especially you." She said as she touched his face.

Rowoon smiled and bended down to give her a kiss.  "You too."

They kept talking for hours as they waited for the meteor showers.  They treasured every last minute they spent with each other until they eventually fell asleep.

A chilling morning breeze woke Hyeyoon.  She stretched herself and half opened her eyes.  Rowoon was awake looking at her.  "Good morning babe.". He kissed her forehead.

"Good morning, I am sorry I fell asleep.". Hyeyoon quickly got up and fixed her hair.

"It's ok, I fell asleep too." Rowoon helped  brushing her hair to her back.

"Did I miss anything, did you see it last night?"

"No....I couldn't see it."

Hyeyoon sighed.  It was their last chance, she thought to herself.

"But a promise is a promise.  Here, open it." Rowoon took out a black jewelry box and handed it to Hyeyoon.

Hyeyoon opened the box, its a shooting star earring.

"Wow....It's beautiful! But.... how come there is only one?" She looked confused.

"I will give you the other one when you come back."

"I will...." She fell onto Rowoon's chest and wrapped her hands around his waist, didn't say another word.

Hyeyoon snaps back to reality as her phone buzzes.  She quickly puts the earring back to the jewelry box, but it drops on the floor.

She looked at the her phone, it's a message from Seolhyun.  It's a picture of Rowoon's latest photoshoot.  She sighs, Seolhyun knows how much she misses Rowoon, so she has been keeping tabs on Rowoon for her.

Hyeyoon sets the phone aside and picks up the jewelry box. She finds a microSD card just besides it.  She picks it up and gets curious.  She never notice it before.

She inserts the microSD card to her computer and opens the folder, there is a file inside.  She clicks on the file and a song plays.

🎵You say there's so much you don't know
You need to go and find yourself
You say you'd rather be alone
'Cause you think you won't find it tied to someone else

Ooh, who said it's true
That the growing only happens on your own?
They don't know me and you

I don't think you have to leave
If to change is what you need
You can change right next to me
When you're high, I'll take the lows
You can ebb and I can flow
And we'll take it slow
And grow as we go
Grow as we go🎵

It's "Grow as we go" by Ben Platt.

Hyeyoon keeps wiping her tears as she listens to the song.  She knew it! Rowoon never meant to break up with her.  Rowoon did it because it's the best for her.  He never once want to break up, not even for a second.

"Kim Rowoon, you liar!  How can you do this to me when you said you want to set me free?"