Thirty-Seven

"Why on earth did you come here after midnight?!" Liam questions in an annoyed tone as he opens the door to his mustang for me.

    I buckled in my seat belt, "I told you, I wanted some air." I answered him when he sat in the driver seat.

    "Normal people go out for a walk, not travel about an hour away to another town." He tells me. "And how did you even get here? You don't have a car!"

    "I took the bus."

    "You took the bus? Where did you get the money for an hour-long bus ride?"

    "I have a job now." I prop my feet up on his leather seat and watch the street lights flash by. "Can we go to my mother's place? I'm really tired."

    "Sure," Liam answers as he turns right at a stop sign. "Do you have the key to her house?" He asked me.

    "No, but I know where she hides the spare key," I tell him.

    I lay my head back on the seat as my eyes begin to slowly close, while I listen to the unfamiliar song playing through the speakers. Liam said something to me but I couldn't make out the words he spoke since sleep takes over me.

******

    "Chlo," I hear someone whisper as they gently shake me. "Chlo, we're here."

    "Hmm," Was the only sound I made as I snuggled more into the warmth of the leather seat.

    "At least tell me where the key is hidden."

    "It's under the frog figure in the flower pot sitting on the porch." I can hear Liam chuckle as I wave my hand around like I knew where I was pointing.

    Liam exits the vehicle to hunt down the key while I attempt to fall back to sleep. My body stays still and my eyes stay closed while my ears listen to the almost silence surrounding me. I can hear Liam walking around, along with the chirping of the crickets.

    I jolted when I heard the passenger door open, "It was under a rabbit, not a frog." Liam takes hold of my hand and gently pulls me up. "Come on, let's go to bed."

    My eyes finally open so I can follow Liam to the door. "Your mom is gonna kill us," Liam told me when he unlocked the door.