Sixteen

"You live where?" Liam asks as he put the car in park. Apparently pit stop meant Mcdonalds.

    "Why are we at Mcdonalds?" I ask, ignoring his question while watching people walk in and out of the place.

"Chlo." I turn to face him, just to see him looking right at me with a serious look. Which makes me feel small. "You're from Maple Hills?" He bites his lower lip slightly as he waits for me to answer.

    "Yes, why do you keep asking?" I answer as I turn to look down at my lap, begin fiddling with the hem of my shirt.

    Liam doesn't answer right away. After a few seconds of silents, I looked up to see him staring out the window. "That's where I'm from." He finally responds in almost a whisper.

    "Wait! What?!" I almost shout.

    "Want to get something to eat before we hit the road?" He changes the subject, ignoring my surprise reaction.

    I look at him with a slightly open mouth. "Um," I say as I glance towards the building and him. "Um, sure." Liam immediately turns off his vehicle and opens his door to exit.

    I stay put anxiously nibbling on my bottom lip. I hear his door shut, while I fiddle with the bottom of my shirt. Is he going to open my door? Should I get out and follow him? I took a deep breath to calm my nerves and unbuckle my seatbelt. "Are you coming?" Liam asks causing me to jump. I was stuck in my head that I didn't hear him open my door.

    I step out of the car, not saying a word and walk upon the sidewalk waiting for him. I look around admiring how beautiful the evening is, trying to calm myself. It's not too hot nor too cold. As I admire the sky slowly changing I see Liam start walking past me towards the entrance, so I slowly follow behind him.

    When we walked in there's not a lot of people, so there wasn't a line to order. I haven't eaten at a Mcdonald's in a very long time, so I'm very excited to eat some chicken nuggies. Yes, I call them nuggies like a 5 year old. Don't judge me. "Hi, are you ready to order?" A young girl that looks about my age asked Liam, who's standing in front of her cash register.

    She seriously eyeing him up and down. Not even being subtle about it. I seriously love how he ignoring the fact she undressing him with her eyes. "Um, yeah." He answers while he moves his eyes from the menu to me. "You know what you're getting babe?" Liam asks me. Did he just call me babe?

    Should I correct him? I'm so awkward, maybe he did it to get the girl off his back. "Yeah," I answer softly. He motions me to come over, so I walk slowly towards him. Feeling anxious because I feel the girl staring at me, she probably gave me the death glare.

    When I got close enough, Liam grabs my arm gently pulls me in front of him. "Go ahead." He tells me as he wraps his arm around my waist. I bite the inside of my lip, having no clue how to react.

    "Um, I want the 10 piece chicken nuggets with sweet & sour sauce and sweet tea," I tell the girl, not looking directly at her. She hands me a large cup for my tea, as she presses buttons on her cash register. Liam removes his arm, so I can walk over to the drink station. I hear him placing in his order as I walk away.

    I look over at Liam to see him waiting for our food, so I take my drink and find us a table as I sip a little bit of my tea. I sat down at a booth, pulled out my phone waiting for my nuggies.

    "Here you go," Liam announces as he sits in front of me. I lock my phone, set it on the table as I grab the carton filled with my nuggies. I can feel my smile growing as I open the box.

    I scan over the tray sadness sinking over when I notice that the sauces I asked for weren't there. My smile fades away as I take one of the nuggets out of the box. "What's wrong?" Liam asks me.

    "Hmm," I say looking up at him, just to see his unreadable eyes on me.

    "What's with the sad face?" He points at my look.

    "Oh, um," I say as I looked back down at my food. "It's nothing." I simply answer before taking a bite of my nuggie.

    "Wait," Liam said causing me to look back up at him. He looks at the tray, moving things around. "Didn't you say that you wanted sweet and sour sauce?" He questions me.

    "Yeah, but it's fine," I answer him. "They're better without the sauce anyway," I add as I start eating the rest of the nugget. I hear Liam scoot out of the booth which makes me shoot my head up. "What are you doing?" I asked with panic in my voice.

    "Going get the sauces you wanted." He bluntly tells me as he walks off.

"Liam, I said-" I stopped myself when he continued walking off. I slumped back in the booth as I sip on my drink. Sorta want to bring up how he's from the same town as me but that would mean bringing up my past. What if he figures out that I'm the girl who known as 'Preachers Murderous Daughter.' Maybe he already knows and he doesn't care but if he did then he would have known where I'm from.

"What's on your mind?" Liam asks as he slides into the booth. "Here your sauces."  He adds as he slides the sauces towards me.
    "Thank you," I respond quietly as I grabbed one of the sauces and open it. "Can I ask you something?" I nicely ask, while dipping one of my nuggies into the sauce.

I glance up at him, waiting for him to respond. "Okay." He said after he swallows his food.

I grab another nugget and start dipping it in the sauce. "Um," I say. "Why did you move out of Maple Hills?" I ask him.

He takes a sip of his soda, "We should finish eating so we can get back on the road." He answers in a strange tone like he was hiding something.

I nod my head and continue eating, taking my sweet time because I seriously want this road trip to take as long as possible. I'm afraid of how he'll react when he finds out my secret.