Chapter Twelve

Callum sat on a couch in the LeGrange's house next to Dean. The young boy was playing with an action figure whilst Dean spoke to Roy (he'd asked them to call him that) and Sue Ann.

"I feel great." Dean said. "Just trying to, you know, make sense of what happened."

"A miracle is what happened." Sue Ann told him as she sat down.. "Well, miracles come so often around Roy."

"When did they start?" Dean asked Roy. "The miracles."

"Woke up one morning, stone blind." Roy explained. "Doctors figured out I had cancer. Told me I had maybe a month. So, uh, we prayed for a miracle. I was weak, but I told Sue Ann, 'You just keep right on praying.' I went into a coma. Doctors said I wouldn't wake up, but I did. And the cancer was gone." He took off his sunglasses. "If it wasn't for these eyes, no one would believe I'd ever had it."

"And suddenly you could heal people." Dean said.

"I discovered it afterward, yes." Roy nodded as he put his sunglasses back on. "God's blessed me in many ways."

"And his flock just swelled overnight." Sue Ann said. "And this is just the beginning."

"Can I ask you one last question?" Dean asked.

"Of course you can." Roy smiled.

"Why? Why me?" Dean questioned. "Out of all the sick people, why save me?"

"Well, like I said before, the Lord guides me." Roy explained. "I looked into your heart, and you just stood out from all the rest. Your son stood out too, but obviously he doesn't need healing."

"What did you see in my heart?" Dean asked.

"A young man with an important purpose." Roy told him. "A job to do. And it isn't finished."

"And Callum?" Dean said, needing to know how his son stood out.

"Power. He's going to grow into a strong and powerful young man." Roy said.

They soon got ready to leave, Dean carrying Callum in his arms as he played with his action figure. As they walked out, they ran into Layla.

"Dean, hey." Layla smiled.

"Hey." Dean said.

"How you feeling?" She asked.

"I feel good." Dean nodded. "Cured, I guess. What are you doing here?"

"You know, my mom, she wanted to talk to the reverend." She explained as Sue Ann walked over.

"Layla?" Sue Ann said.

"Yes, I'm here again." Layla said.

"Well, I'm sorry, but Roy is resting." Sue Ann explained. "He won't be seeing anyone else right now."

"Sue Ann, please." Layla's mother said. Callum didn't even realise she was here until now. "This is our sixth time, he's got to see us."

"Roy is well aware of Layla's situation." Sue Ann told her. "And he very much wants to help just as soon as the Lord allows. Have faith, Mrs. Rourke."

She turned and headed back into the house as Mrs Rourke turned to Dean.

"Why are you still even here?" She snapped, causing Callum to cover his ears. "You got what you wanted."

"Mom. Stop." Layla said, seeing how distraught the young boy was becoming.

"No, Layla, this is too much." Mrs Rourke told her daughter. "We've been to every single service. If Roy would stop choosing these strangers over you. Strangers who don't even believe. I just can't pray any harder."