Chapter Twenty-Seven

John was dead. It'd been ruled a heart attack, but Sam and Dean didn't believe that one bit. Even Callum knew that that was highly unlikely to be the true cause of his death.

It'd been a week since they'd salted and burned John's body and they'd been staying with Bobby the whole time.

Callum didn't mention why Aarin wasn't answering any of their calls. He didn't see the point. That angel was long gone and Callum did not need him anymore. He refused to help heal Dean and Callum knew he wouldn't be able to forgive him for a long time.

So now he was sat on the ground near the Impala, Dean underneath it as he worked on fixing it. The car was looking much better than it had a week ago, but there was still a long way to go.

"How's the car coming along?" Sam asked as he approached, Callum looking up from the toolbox he was looking in.

"Slow." Dean replied.

"Yeah? Need any help?" Sam offered, causing his brother to drop something.

"What, you under a hood? I'll pass." Dean told him.

"You've got Callum helping." Sam pointed out.

"I'm just handing him tools, Uncle Sammy." Callum told him. "I'm good at it, too! Daddy doesn't even need to describe what he needs. Just says the name and I get it right each time."

"Yeah, that's 'cause you're smart, kiddo." Sam said, giving him a smile. "Need anything else, then?" He asked his brother.

Dean pushed himself from under the car, sitting up from the board he was on.

"Stop it, Sam." The oldest Winchester told his brother.

"Stop what?" Sam questioned.

"Stop asking if I need anything, stop asking if I'm okay." Dean said. "I'm okay. Really. I promise."

"All right, Dean, it's just..." Sam started. "We've been at Bobby's for over a week now and you haven't brought up Dad once."

"You know what? You're right." Dean said. "Come here. I'm gonna lay my head gently on your shoulder. Maybe we can cry, hug, and maybe even slow dance." Callum gave a loud laugh at what Dean had said, quickly shutting up as Sam turned to glare at him.

"Don't patronize me, Dean." Sam told him. "Dad is dead. The Colt is gone, and it seems pretty damn likely that the demon is behind all of this, and you're acting like nothing happened."

"What do you want me to say?" Dean asked.

"Say something, all right?" Sam replied loudly. "Hell, say anything! Aren't you angry? Don't you want revenge? But all you do is sit out here all day long buried underneath this damn car with Callum all day."

"Revenge, huh?"

"Yeah."

"Sounds good." Dean said. "You got any leads on where the demon is? Making heads or tails of any of Dad's research? Because I sure ain't. But you know, if we do finally find it - oh. No, wait, like you said. The Colt's gone. But I'm sure you've figured out another way to kill it. We've got nothing, Sam. Nothing, okay? So you know the only thing I can do? Is I can work on the car. And Cal's here because he's my kid and he just wants to be near me."

Dean crouched back down to continue working as Sam continued talking.

"Well, we've got something, all right?" He said, holding out a cell phone. "It's what I came by here to tell you. This is one of dad's old phones. Took me a while, but I cracked his voicemail code. Listen to this."