Chapter Thirty-Four

With everything he'd dealt with other the years, Dean Winchester never thought he'd ever be as terrified as he was right now. His son was gone. Taken by the ghost of a serial killer. And not just any serial killer. America's first serial killer.

For all he knew, his son could be dead. He didn't match Holmes' usual type of victim, so maybe he was dead already.

Even when he was dying, Dean hadn't been this afraid. He'd be willing to go through that all again if he could just hold his son right now.

But all he could do was find Sam and go looking for the two. So he rushed through the hallway, looking for Sam.

And he found him. The two, both not paying much attention as they turned a corner, banged into each other, almost falling over in the process.

"Whoa!" Sam said.

"He's got Callum and Jo." Dean said, continuing down the hallway, Sam following behind.

"What? How'd that happen?" Sam asked.

"I wasn't with them." Dean explained. "There was a narrow part in the wall, Jo wanted to go alone but Cal said he could fit too. They both went and got taken. Damn it!"

"Hey, hey, look, we'll find the both of them, all right?" Sam assured him. "They'll be fine."

"Where?" Dean snapped.

"Inside the walls."

"We've been inside the walls all night!" Dean said, getting more and more agitated. "None of the other girls were there, they won't be either."

They walked into the apartment, Dean immediately spotting Cosmo on the couch. Dean had told Callum it was best to leave him there so he wouldn't get dirty.

"Look. We've just gotta take a beat and think about this." Sam said, heading over to the table where their research still sat. "Maybe we got Holmes' M.O. wrong."

"Yeah, well, we'd better fucking think fast." Dean said, picking up Cosmo from the couch as his phone began to ring. He quickly answered. "Yeah?"

"You lied to me." Came Ellen's voice in a very angry tone. "She's there."

"Ellen." Dean said, Sam looking up with wide eyes.

"No - Ash told me everything." Ellen told him. "Man's a genius, but he folds like a cheap suit. Now you put my damn daughter on the phone."

"She's gonna have to call you back, she's taking care of, uh, feminine business." Dean lied.

"Yeah, right." Ellen said, not buying it one bit. "Where is she?" Dean stayed silent. "Where is she?!"

"Look, we'll get her back." Dean told her.

"Get her back? Back from what?" Ellen questioned.

"The spirit we're hunting, it took her. And Callum." Dean explained, looking at the toy fox in his hands.

"Oh, my god."

"She'll be okay, I promise." Dean assured her.

"You promise?" If she wasn't so worried, she'd have laughed. "That is not the first time I've heard that from a Winchester."

"What?"

"If anything happens to her..."

"It won't. I won't let it." Dean promised. "Ellen, I'm sorry, I really am."