Chapter Seven

After a few days with Kiar, Sebastian and Natasha, they returned Callum to Sam and Dean in Wisconsin. Both Kiar and Sebastian did as Aarin had told them, staying quiet about what they saw Callum do.

It was early in the morning in early December and Dean was lying on his bed in a small motel room, Callum lying on his chest like he used to do as a baby. The boy was just glad to have his dad back. Dean had one of his hands on the back of the boy's head as the two slept.

Dean awoke quickly, reaching for his gun after he heard the door open. He gently rolled Callum onto the other side of the bed, making sure not to wake him as Sam entered the room, carrying some coffee cups and some paper bags.

"Morning, sunshine." Sam said.

"What time is it?" Dean asked his brother, making sure to be quiet so Callum wouldn't wake up.

"Uh, it's about five forty-five." Sam said.

"In the morning?!" Dean said, slightly louder than he'd meant.

"Yep." Sam nodded as Callum's eyes fluttered open, causing Dean to sigh and pull the young boy towards him.

"Where does the day go." Dean said. "Sorry, kiddo. Didn't mean to wake you." He placed a gentle kiss on the boy's forehead, making him giggle.

"It's fine." The boy said softly before yawning. He pulled Cosmo over to join him and his dad in a hug.

"So, d'you get any sleep last night?" Dean asked his brother as he sat up, keeping an arm around his son.

"Yeah, I grabbed a couple hours." Sam lied.

"Liar." Callum said. "I woke up a few hours ago and saw you watching some weird commercials."

"Hey, what can I say? It's riveting TV." Sam said, holding his hands up in defence.

"When was the last time you got a good night's sleep?" Dean asked his younger brother.

"I don't know, a little while, I guess." Sam shrugged. "It's not a big deal."

"Yeah, it is." Dean told him.

"Look, I appreciate your concern-" Sam started.

"Oh, I'm not concerned." Dean interrupted. "It's your job to keep my ass alive so I can get home and feed my son. I need you sharp." The small boy rested his head against his dad. "Seriously, are you still having nightmares about Jess?"

Sam walked over to is bed, sitting down and handing one coffee cup to both Dean and Callum.

"You're seriously giving him coffee?" Dean asked. "Isn't he hyper enough without the added caffeine?"

"Don't worry, it's hot chocolate." Sam assured him. "And yeah, I am. But it's not just her. It's everything. I just forgot, you know? This job. Man, it gets to you."

"You can't let it." Dean said. "You can't bring it home like that."

"So, what? All this it...never keeps you up at night?" Sam asked, causing his older brother to shake his head. "Never? You're never afraid?"

"No, not really." Dean shrugged. Sam reached under Dean's pillow, pulling out a large hunting knife. Dean quickly grabbed it out of his hand, staring at him.

"That's not fear. That is precaution." Dean said. "If something happens to get in here, I'm not gonna be defenceless and let it hurt or kill Callum." He held the young boy closer as the two took a sip from their cups, Sam chuckling at how similar they were.