Chapter Twenty-One

After another two chaotic cases, one in Wisconsin where children were being put into comas by a Shtriga and one in New York where a painting was possessed by the spirit of a murderous girl, the Winchester's were taking a short break in Nebraska, which Callum was overjoyed about.

"Well, dude." Dean said as he looked through a newspaper. "Not a decent lead in all of Nebraska. What've you got?"

The three Winchester's were sat inside of a small café, Sam looking on his laptop as Callum Played Animal Crossing: Wild World on his DS.

"Well, I've been scanning Wyoming, Colorado, South Dakota." Sam explained. "Here. A woman in Iowa fell ten thousand feet from an airplane and survived."

"That's definitely luck." Callum said, looking up from his DS. "Nearly beats the world record. That goes to Vesna Vulović who fell from about ten thousand two hundred feet. Maybe lower."

Both Sam and Dean stared at the boy, eyes wide as he looked back at his game, only looking back up when the two didn't say anything.

"What? I read." The six year old said. "I don't just sit around watching Harry Potter all day."

Dean looked at Sam, "You turned him into a nerd."

"Did not!" Sam grinned. "Remember, Morgan was what you'd call a 'nerd' too. He probably got that from her along with his good looks. Definitely didn't get them from you."

Callum grinned at the compliment whilst Dean tried to think of a good come back.

"Well, how about we head east?" Dean suggested. "New York. Up State. We could drop by and see Sarah again, huh?" He grinned. Sarah was a girl they'd met in New York, and Sam had pretty much fallen in love. "Cool chick man, smokin'." He gave a short whistle before continuing. "You two seemed pretty friendly. What do you say?"

"Yeah, Sarah was nice." Callum agreed.

"Yeah, I dunno, maybe someday." Sam chuckled. "But in the meantime we got a lot of work to do Dean, and you know that."

"Yeah, all right." Dean agreed, Callum looking back down at his DS. "What else you got?"

"Ahh, man in Colorado, local man named Daniel Elkins, was found mauled in his home." Sam said.

"Elkins? I know that name." Dean said.

"Doesn't ring a bell."

"Elkins...Elkins...Elkins." Dean mumbled under his breath, trying to figure it out.

"Sounds like the police don't know what to think." Sam continued as Dean reached into his jacket pocket for his Dad's journal. "At first they said it was some sort of bear attack and now, they've found some signs of robbery."

"Mm-hmm." Dean hummed, flicking through the journal. "There, check it out."

Dean handed the journal to Sam, who read what the page said as Callum closed his DS, interested in what was going on around him.

"You think it's the same Elkins?" Sam questioned.

"It's a Colorado area code."

        The door to the cabin creaked open as Sam stood up having picked the lock. Callum stood behind his father and uncle, flashlight in hand as they slowly entered.

"Looks like the maid didn't come today." Dean said, entering one of the messy rooms with Callum by his side whilst Sam looked around somewhere else.