Return of Jay

When I woke up this morning, Asher was still asleep. I layed next to him for a while before deciding to get something to eat.

I lifted his arm carefully off my waist and put it on my pillow. After I slid out of bed, Asher gabbed my pillow and pulled it to himself.

I held my breath, thinking I woke him up. Once he settled down again, I let out a breath.

Success!

I went downstairs and poured myself a bowl of cereal, then took it to the dining room and began eating. Macon was sitting at the end of the table with a cup of coffee and a few scattered files of paperwork.

"Where's Asher?" He asked

Why is it always so awkward to talk to him? "Probably in bed." I responded.

"I figured he would come down with you. That boy hasn't left your side in days, and when he does he's trying to get back to you."

Swoon.

"That's not true, I went to the mall yesterday without him."

Macon raised an eyebrow at me.

"He ended up at the mall didn't he?"

Suddenly, there was the sound of someone running down the stairs. Asher flew into the room like a lunatic, looking frantic. When he caught sight of me, he immediately calmed down.

"How nice of you to join us this morning, son." Macon is obviously amused by what had just happened. Honestly, I was too.

"Yea." Asher scratched the back of his head. "I'll be back." With that he left the dining room.

"See what I mean?" Macon lifted up his coffee and took a sip.

"I guess you might be right. Is he always going to act like that? It gets better right?"

"Nope."

Great. Fantastic, really.

It's weird that before we were together, Asher was fine with the way people treated me and how I wasn't always home. Sure, he discussed his discomfort with me, but he never actually did anything. I guess he was restraining himself, but now that we decided to be normal mates, all restraint he previously had is gone.

Asher returned with a bowl of cereal and some toast. He sat down next to me and started eating his cereal. I was watching him for a second before I stole his toast and took now time in devouring it.

He looked up and rolled his eyes at me. "That's my food."

"Not anymore. Consider it payment for eating my pizza."

He shook is head at me and continued eating.

"As much as that touched my heart, can you please leave any lovey-dovey things until I leave the room."

I forgot Macon was in here. That's embarrassing.

"Sorry."

"Asher, after you eat can you come up to the office. We still need to work on the new schedule for the rounds."

Asher nodded his head at his father.

"So Carter, when do you think you're going to join the pack?" Macon turned his focus to me.

"Uh. I don't know."

"It's easiest if she just joins the pack when I mark her." Asher answered for me.

"And when is that going to be?"

"Whenever she wants."

Macon looked at me expectedly. Does he really expect me to have a date?