eleven

Chapter 11: The Awkward Breakfast

Sworn to secrecy about Renjun's moment of weakness, Jaemin sat, Renjun in one side and Jeno on the other.

He shovelled the subpar food in, knowing that it was as good as it could get.

"So are we going to bring up the elephant in the room?" Chenle murmured, eyeing the food in front of him before initiating eye contact with each of the six boys.

"I would love that." They all flicked their gaze to Jeno who had spoken. "I feel that we are weakening when put in this horrible, horrible hospital. Right now, more than ever, we need to be a team. It's the seven of us or nothing!" He exclaimed, spoon in hand while eyeing each boy.

When no one replied to him, he continued, knowing each and every weak spot.

"Do you remember when we each first met each other?" He questioned, eyes softening when he saw Mark look lovingly at Donghyuck while nodding. "We need to remember the comfort of the good times, and not the heat and intensity of the bad."

Chenle agreed, continuing the speech with, "This place will not bring out the worst in us. I won't allow it. So either we will stand strong together, or we have no chance of surviving."

Renjun couldn't help but share a look with Jaemin, knowing that the younger was thinking back to what was said this morning.

Giving a weak smile, the brunette leaned forward and caught Mark's hands in his own.

"I think it's me that should start to apologise." He looked to each of their faces, seeing all of them wore a smile but Donghyuck, who hadn't raised his head since the fight. "It wasn't right of me to say things that didn't concern me. I won't put full blame on my condition, but I wasn't in a good place yesterday. Once I had my head on straight, I could finally identify what I had done to upset you."

He stopped again, seeing that Mark wore an understanding look, and seemed equally apologetic.

"Both of you." Donghyuck still didn't raise his head, not wanting to show his vulnerability again, but he really couldn't suppress the tears that rose to his eyes.

Mark and Renjun exchanged a concerned look, brows kitted in confusion.

"Are you okay Hyuck?" Chenle quietly mumbled, hands clasping around the younger's again.

Donghyuck only nodded lowly, gripping tightly onto Chenle's hands in appreciation.

"I'm fine."

And so the breakfast ended, no more words exchanged, and no eventful happenings....thankfully.

Jaemin pulled Renjun to the side of the hallway as they all retreated to their rooms for the morning, awaiting the next orders given.

"Look Jun, I'm going to therapy in about half an hour, and I know you won't talk to them when it's your turn, but please talk to me. I was so scared this morning when you told me all that stuff." The younger held onto Renjun's shoulders, pleading for his cooperation.

"I'll consider it Jaem. But I swear to god, if you breathe a word to anyone," he lowly hissed, eyes darkening with each word as he closed the gap between them.

"And as I said this morning, I won't." Jaemin then closed the gap, their breaths mingling as their noses touched.

"Good." The brunette turned on his heel, trying to push down the butterflies in his stomach down.

Jaemin felt his stomach drop at the lack of contact again. It was as if the cold winter morning became colder.

"Good," he mumbled, eyeing the disappearing figure of the older boy. "Good."

Chenle escorted Donghyuck back to his room, not asking anymore questions about his attitude, deciding that come the day Mark will talk to him, the blonde would answer.

"Okay Hyuck. Is that all you need?" The younger busily asked, roaming around the room to make sure nothing else was needed.

"I think so Lele. Thanks so much for this. You're the best." Chenle smiled sweetly back at the elder boy, trying to hide the concern that was bound to be written on his face.

"Will you talk to Mark?" Chenle mumbled. Donghyuck curled into a ball, knees up to his chest while he thought of the ravenette.

"I hope so, 'cause I really miss him."