thirty one

Chapter 31: Divided We Shall Fall

How long had it been? Mark was unsure, but the pounding in his chest never lied. There was something wrong...definitely.

His mind was filtering through the many things that all of them had experienced as 'punishment' over the years, yet he still found his heart telling him that this was different.

"Is Hyuckie back yet?" Chenle whispered while standing in the doorway with a distraught expression. "It's been hours..."

Mark hummed dismally, eyes trained on the younger who seems to have just come out of one of his moments.

"You okay? Did Ji help?"

Chenle chuckled gently, slightly embarrassed by the older's eagle eye that caught everything wrong with each of them.

"Yeah," he whispered, eyes drooping as he thought of his boyfriend. He truly did love him, it he felt the need to break free from this place. "Do you think well all make it out?" He continued, heart aching at the thought of him and Jisung being separated.

Had rather stay here with the younger than get out knowing he was stuck in this hellhole.

"I hope we do, Lele. Actually," he began, patting the spot beside him, encouraging the younger to come and sit with him.

Chenle did indeed approach a very rough looking Mark. He watched as the shorter adjusted his shirt which was hanging off his shoulder, exposing his prominent collarbones.

"I think there's something very wrong with Donghyuck. You know that tight feeling in your chest?" Chenle nodded along, hand hovering over the mentioned area. "That's dread. I think our little plan has to be rejigged, reorganised and sped up."

"By how much, Mark? When will we go?"

"Now. Grab Jisung, Jaemin and the two who aren't coming, we'll we'd their help," he instructed, seeing the hesitance in the younger's eyes. "I will do everything in my power to get you and Jisung out. And of course Jaemin too."

He nodded slightly, believing in Mark who had assumed role of leader many moons ago.

"Kay...I'll grab them. What will you do?" The taller tested, standing from the bed and trailing to the door.

"I'm going to look around for a minute, but I'll meet you back here in five minutes, right?"

Chenle nodded, leaving the room with intent to complete his designated task.

This could possibly be it. That could be the last time he walked through that certain hallway. This could be the last time he sees his room. It all felt so surreal, but the huge smile that was plastered onto his face proved it real.

This was it.

He could only hope with one last try of convincing Renjun and Jeno that they could leave as a group of seven friends.

After all, divided they shall fall...