seventeen

Chapter 17: Hear No Evil

Swiftly walking through the halls with an excited expression on his face, Chenle pushed through crowds of people who were in his way, wanting to talk to Donghyuck about a dream he had the previous night.

He knew that the older boy was the only one who would listen to him.

"I just don't know, Jaesoo, I think that Lee Donghyuck kid is a lost cause. Did you see him?" A female nurse mumbled, nervously glancing around for any eavesdroppers.

Before her eyes could fall on him, Chenle jumped behind a wall, leaning in slightly to hear the rest of the conversation that concerned his friend.

"I know, but are you allowed to just do that? Even if there isn't hope?" The man, who had been identified as Jaesoo said.

"Soo, their parents literally sell them off to us because they don't care. We can do whatever we like. If the family had a problem, we can use to same excuse-"

She was cut off by the man.

"It was a tactic to help them. I know, but it seems-" once again they spoke over each other.

"Look, this is how things work around here, and the quicker you can get that to settle in, the quicker you can become a part of the family here," the woman continued. Their soft footsteps began to tap against the reflective floors and their voices began to fade.

What had he just heard?

Chenle felt the air being taken from him as he slid to the floor. His knees came up to his chest as tears began to prick the corner of his eyes in fear. Fear of what would happen to Donghyuck....Fear of what would happen to all of them.

His emotions began to get the best of him as the familiar voice returned to his mind, pushing him to move, to tell someone, tell someone who would listen.

He stood up, his shaking legs proving to be an obstacle he would have to overcome as he limped to Renjun's room, in desperate need of someone to talk to.

He ran, ran like there was no tomorrow, and then, as his hand hovered over the door, he heard a conversation from inside.

His mind was muddled, the voice still yelling at him and causing a side splitting headache, but he was desperate, desperate to seek help.

As he was about to call out to his friend, he heard Jaemin's voice join in.

"But they should know about how you've been feeling."

Chenle leaned his head against the door to hear better, wanting to know what the pair were saying since he was already intrigued. He hadn't noticed Mark's arrival, but when the eldest tapped in his shoulder confusedly, Chenle held his index finger over his mouth and indicated for Mark to lean in.

"No, Jaemin, and if you breathe a word, there will be consequences!"

There was a short period of silence where nothing was said, and no breaths could be heard. And even from the other side of the door, both Mark and Chenle could feel the tense atmosphere between the pair inside.

Chenle felt his heart swell as he had an information overload. First Donghyuck's news, and now this? He just couldn't keep up.

"Fine, Junnie. But only if you keep me updated with how you're doing." There was a warning tone in Jaemin's words, his voice lowering, while Chenle almost imagine the small frown that would probably be etched onto the older's face.

His head was pounding with the pain of the voices, but he squinted, trying to separate Renjun and Jaemin's voices from the angered ones in his head.

"Thanks, Jaem. You won't regret it!" The older called out. Mark tugged on Chenle's arm, knowing what they were doing was wrong, yet he found himself wanting to hear more. What did Jaemin know that the rest didn't?

"I better not." The footsteps were nearing the door, and not wanting to get caught, Mark grabbed onto Chenle's sleeve, noticing how he winced at sudden movement.

"Let's go, Lele. Now!" He hissed dragging the boy behind the closest wall.

They sat on the ground together as they heard Jaemin's footsteps fade. Only then did they share a look.

"What the hell was that about?"