Chapter Twenty Two

Everyone thoroughly enjoyed camping at Mt. Carter and are back home getting ready for Christmas. This year Sadie will have Ben, Jessie, and Allie over. Gunnar has been over the moon to really meet and get to know Allie. They, unfortunately, were not able to meet up before Christmas but Gunnar is determined to make this the best Christmas for everyone. Sadie is at the store with Gunnar so he can pick a few presents out and she is having to pull Gunnar back from buying the entire store.

"She does not need a bicycle, Gunnar!" Sadie says.

"But, mom it's frozen!" Gunnar pleads.

"I get it sweetheart, but that bike is way too big for her. Let's look at dress-up stuff and maybe some stuffed animals?" Sadie asks.

"Can we throw in pajamas and a movie we can watch after dinner?" Gunnar asks.

"That sounds awesome," Sadie agrees.

They walk around the store for a bit and have a basket full of things for Allie. Sadie will admit, it was fun to shop for a girl.

"Hey mom, Is it ok to grab a gift for Hudson and Everett?" Gunnar asks. "I saw something I think would be perfect for them."

"Yeah. How about you go grab whatever it is and I'll meet you back at the home goods section." Sadie asks.

"Yeah, I'll see you soon!" Gunnar says taking off to the electronics section.

Sadie walks around the home goods section to find a perfect gift for Ben. This being their first Christmas she thinks a Christmas ornament would be perfect. There is one that has a canoe and a tent. It's simple but holds a lot of memories. As Sadie is looking at a few other things, she hears it. The voice that can crack windows.

"Sadie!" Brittany squeals.

Deep breath, "Oh, hi Brittany," Sadie says.

"How are you?" She boldly asks, "How is my husband doing?"

"Ex-Husband. He is good," Sadie responds.

Sadie notices she is wearing looser fitting clothes. Not the tight fit clothing she usually wears. She must be starting to show and still not ready for the world to see.

"How are Justin and the wedding plans going? Your ring is beautiful," Sadie says.

"It is! My ring is one of a kind, just like me. Wedding planning is good. We will go to the courthouse for a small ceremony and then have a huge wedding this summer after the baby is born. I'll have my body back and will look better than ever," Brittany says.

"That is really amazing," Sadie can only say with a monotone voice.

"Too bad you will never have a big beautiful wedding," Brittany tries to push.

"Ha, yeah. I am not worried about it. Big weddings are not my thing. I am glad you will have what you want, again," Sadie digs.

"Yes, I always get what I want," Brittany boldly states.

Brittany is staring down at Sadie which causes her to cringe. Sadie is so fed up with her. The backhanded comments, the snide remarks.

"Why do you hate me?" Sadie boldly asks.

"What?" Brittany says shocked by her boldness.

"Why. Do. You. Hate. Me?" Sadie asks again.

Brittany shakes her head, "You are so blind!"

"Poor little blue-eyed, blonde hair, Sadie. Grandpa dies and gets so much sympathy! Perfect loving parents, kind sweet Sadie. You have the whole world around your finger! You are fake as they come! Don't think I didn't see that in high school!" Brittany pushes.