Chapter Thirty-Two

Life doesn't always plan out how you want it to

Sometimes it takes you down a different path

Sometimes it takes longer to achieve your dream

Ben and Sadie are settling into a new normal. In the few months since the arrest, they have met with court lawyers, custody lawyers, therapists, and law enforcement on how the case is being handled.

Charlie was let go with no charges for her testimony against Justin and Brittany. Turns out she was oblivious to Justin's true intentions. She and Summer broke up for a bit but they are slowly reconnecting.

Kevin pleaded guilty for the accident against Gunnar which the charge was reduced and he also was charged with breaking and entering, assault against Sadie since it was caught on camera. He will spend a few years in prison for that.

Justin tried to plead not guilty to arson but once he became aware of the coffee shop video where Brittany told Kevin that it was him, and Charlie's testimony he decided to plead guilty for a reduced sentence. He will be in the same prison as Kevin. They have bonded over their hate for Brittany, but don't get it wrong, they are NOT Friends.

And for Brittany

Brittany, Brittany, Brittany

Brittany was charged with attempted arson, trespassing, corruption, fraud, and a slew of other charges. She never had a criminal record and the charges were reduced. She spent minimal time behind bars and had work release so her time ended up being suspended with good behavior. This means that if she breaks the law in any way she will have to serve her full sentence. She's on her best fake behavior. They have reached a custody agreement where Ben and Sadie have full custody and Brittany will have supervised visitation at the moment.

Brittany lost her license and can no longer practice real estate so she has gotten a job outside the county where not many people know her or her background. She is working for a land development and construction company in their advertising department. She has a small house in that county as well and only travels where we are for the children's visitation. There are no complaints on the family's side.

Ben, Sadie, and the kids spend the summer between court hearings and mini camping sessions to unplug from the chaos. Summer came a few times to camp but realizes it's just not her thing. It's appreciated that she tried.

It's August and school is about to start. Gunnar is a senior and will start college at the University of Georgia. He received a partial scholarship for academics and a partial scholarship for sports. They are so proud of him and his accomplishments. Victoria and Gunnar broke up just before school started due to her going to a different college and wanted to give each other the opportunity to live their lives. Gunnar hasn't taken it well as he truly loves her.

Hudson is playing travel baseball and thought about playing football too but decided that he wanted to focus strictly on baseball. He's become an incredible catcher. With Gunnar's help, he has become one of the top players.

Everett's photography is taking off. She takes a lot of classes offered by the county or the local college. She took Gunnar's senior pictures and a few of the parents paid for her to take their kid's photos. She is incredibly talented. Ben promised a gallery event to Everett to showcase her photos again at New Years'.

As for Ben and Sadie, it's been one hell of a journey! They have loved every single minute together with this man. Even the small arguments. It has been an emotional summer with all the changes. Sadie has small panic attacks but they are nothing like they were before. Ben smothers her with hugs daily and that keeps that beautiful demon of doubt at bay. When she does rear her beautiful face, Ben is right there pulling Sadie back and reminding her that no matter what he is her anchor pulling her back from the shadows. 

~For anyone struggling with anxiety or depression please trust that you are NOT alone! That beautiful demon that lurks in the back of your mind will not win. You are good enough and today is a better day because you are still here~

THE END

Coming Soon - Book 2 - Into The Light

Follow Gunnar and his journey as he navigates through life. 

It's been ten years since they said goodbye, is it time to reconnect or move on completly?