Chapter 13

My parents are finally back in the states and they come to visit for Thanksgiving.

Gogo and PopPop always had a huge Thanksgiving dinner with all their friends and family and Gogo has continued the tradition. The condo is overflowing with people, including Asher and Hazel and Finn who Hazel snuck in with her. The four of us spend most of the day down by the pool with the plate of appetizers we pilfered from the kitchen.

My parents are polite when they meet Asher and engage him in conversation for a few minutes, but then they move on to all the other guests. I know I shouldn't be surprised, this is what they do, but it still stings a little that they don't have more interest in my life.

After dinner, when everyone's gone home, it's just Gogo, my parents and Asher left in the condo. Gogo hides in the kitchen cleaning up to give us all some time to talk, but after a while it's pretty obvious we don't have much to talk about.

Asher asks my parents about Doctors without Borders and they tell us all about the African village they were working in the last 5 months. When my mom looks at the clock and realizes it's getting late, they excuse themselves and go to bed. They're headed back to Atlanta tomorrow because they couldn't possibly be away for too long. I can't roll my eyes far enough back in my head.

Asher pulls me onto his lap and holds me tight. He looks me in the eyes and says, "You know I love you, right? Until the stars fade."

"I know, I love you too."

"Until the oceans are dry?" he asks.

"Yes, until the stars fade and the oceans are dry." He kisses me, taking away a little of the sting of my parents lack of involvement in anything concerning me.

I walk Asher to the door and give him a goodnight kiss. Exhausted, I say goodnight to Gogo and head to bed myself.

When I wake up in the morning, my parents are already gone. They left a note on the table that said, Kinsley, wonderful to see you. Can't wait until Christmas. Mom and Dad.

Gogo smiles sadly at me and suggests we spend the day watching chick flicks on the couch, so that is exactly what we do.