Chapter 32

As soon as Asher left, I called Jake and he and Henry talked me off the ledge. They both seem to think that spending the weekend with Asher is a wonderful idea, although I'm not sure if they think that it's a good idea for me or if it's just a good idea because he's Asher James.

After an hour on the phone, I can hardly keep my eyes open and we say goodnight. For as tired as I am, I lay in my bed and stare at the ceiling for what seems like hours. I'm having breakfast with Asher tomorrow. He was absent from my life for three years and in the span on a week, we've talked on the phone and had dinner together. My brain cannot process any of this. I finally fall into a restless sleep and see Asher's face everywhere in my dreams.

When my alarm wakes me from a dead sleep at eight, I have to drag myself out of bed to get ready to meet Asher. I try not to debate too much on what I should wear and just keep it casual with a pair of shorts and t-shirt. I decide to walk to his hotel since it's only about fifteen minutes from my apartment and I thought the walk might help me clear my mind. Now I'm standing in the lobby and instead of a clear head, I just feel sweaty and hungry. I text Asher that I am in the lobby and he immediately writes back to tell me he left a key for me at the front desk.

I take the elevator to the tenth floor and am surprised when I find myself knocking on the door to the Presidential suite. I don't know why I'm surprised, Asher is a famous actor, of course he stays at nice hotels in fancy suites. There's so much I don't know about him anymore.

Asher opens the door wearing a well-worn pair of cargo shorts and a t-shirt. He looks gorgeous, still the same piercing blue gray eyes and brilliant smile, just a few years older, a little more scruff on his face. My heart is beating out of my chest just seeing him open the door.

"I left a key, you didn't have to knock you know," he tells me as he opens the door to usher me into the suite.

"I know, I didn't feel right just walking in. Wow, the view from here is super cool." I head over to a wall of windows overlooking what seems like the whole campus. I turn and take in the whole suite which is tastefully decorated and nicer than any hotel I've ever stayed in. "You've definitely moved up in the world," I tell him gesturing to the suite.

"I guess you could say that. I do like to stay at hotels that are full service because depending on where I am, sometimes I can't really leave to get food or whatever else I find I might need." He says this so casually, he's obviously adapted to this lifestyle. Although, it's been three years so I don't know why he wouldn't have. It's just so far from my life now, it doesn't seem real.

"So," he claps his hands, "what sounds good for breakfast? They normally have awesome room service or we can have something delivered. Whatever you want. Is there a local place you like?" Asher is talking really fast and he runs his fingers through his hair. That used to be his nervous tell, I wonder if it still is. The thought that I might be making Asher nervous makes me feel like there are butterflies in my stomach.

And, as if on cue, my stomach growls loudly. "I guess that hasn't changed about you," he chuckles.

"Nope, hasn't changed. My stomach still gives me away. Umm, room service sounds fine. Is there a menu?" He heads over to the kitchenette area, gets the menu and hands it to me. Our fingers brush together for just a second and it feels like I've been zapped with an electric current. I pull away and take a step back to give myself some space, it feels like I can't breathe when I'm so close to Asher.

After placing our order, we sit on opposite ends of the sofa and a silence fills the air around us. I have so many things I want to say but can't find the way to say any of them. I glance over at Asher and find him pulling at the bottom of his shorts that are frayed and ripped.