Chapter 45

After a restless night's sleep, I wake up early and get ready to go meet Asher. I plug the address he gave me in my GPS and head out. I'm not at all surprised when I pull into a gated oceanfront community. I provide my name at security and they open the gate. The houses are all set back from the road but it seems like a newer community, so I can't imagine how much work Asher would really need done in a brand-new home. My GPS takes me to the end of the street and I pull into the drive. Asher is sitting on the front steps drinking a cup of coffee.

"Morning Kins," he says cheerfully. "Did you find the place ok?"

"I found it fine. Asher, what the hell are you up to?" I pull my bag from the car and walk up the wide stairs to the wraparound porch. He opens the front door and I follow him inside. The inside is stunning with a view to the ocean and a wall of floor to ceiling windows. I look around to find that it's beautifully decorated and looks brand new. "What kind of stunt are you pulling Asher? This place is immaculate and looks brand new. You don't need me, it's totally finished. Is this some kind of joke? Andie thinks your "project" is going to make my career. She will be sadly disappointed in you."

"No, you misunderstood. I'm just renting this place. It is nice though, I love the view, I've never lived this close to the beach before. It has steps right down to the sand, you should see it. Nevermind, I'm getting distracted." He picks up his sunglasses and the keys laying on the counter. "Come on, I'll show you my project. I think you're really going to love it."

"We're leaving? Is the actual project close by? You're confusing me Asher." I'm following him through the kitchen and into the garage. He opens the door and motions for me to get in the car. I begrudgingly follow him, curious as to what he's really up to.

Asher drives us out of the neighborhood and all over town. It seems he's been driving aimlessly for about twenty minutes and I'm beginning to think he has no destination. He's been talking the whole time about how he wrapped filming a few weeks ago which afforded him the opportunity to show up here. He said he's staying for the summer and his parents are looking forward to visiting him here instead of California because they aren't big fans of LA. When I finally can't take it anymore, I look over at him and say, "Asher, we've been driving for over a half an hour. Where the hell are you taking me? Is there actually something you want to show me or is this just all a rouse to trap me in your car? I have real work I could be doing right now, you know."

"Relax Kins, we're almost there. I may have been stalling, just a little. I'm nervous." Now that he's said that I realize his hair is standing almost on end because he's been absentmindedly running his hands through it on and off the whole time he's been driving.

"What is there to be nervous about? Now you're making me nervous." I was irritated initially, but now I just want to know what's going on. Asher has just taken the Five Points exit off the highway. He drives right pass my office and my apartment and turns into the historic neighborhood. My heart starts racing and my palms feel sweaty.

"Asher, what did you do?" I look over at him, but I can't see his eyes because of his dark sunglasses.

When Asher makes what I now know will be the final turn, I am gripping the door handle with everything I have in me. He turns the car into the driveway of Gogo and PopPop's old house and turns off the car.

"Asher, what did you do?" I ask again.

"It's been your dream since you were a little girl to live in this house. I'm making your dream a reality. I bought the house for you Kins. It's yours." He gets out of the car and comes around and opens the passenger door. He basically pulls me from the car towards the house. When we get to the front door, he turns and hands me the keys.